Acceptable bitrate for mp3 on phone?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What do you guys use as the bitrate when ripping mp3's from your CD's? I'm trying to make the most of my 2GB memory card, and want to squeeze as many songs on there as possible, while still leaving room for future apps and such.

Does 128k sound like junk? Should I just keep it at a higher quality and shuffle songs back and forth to the memory card?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and another thing...is there a way to further condense an MP3 once it has been ripped, or does it need to be ripped all over again at a lower bitrate?

IOWA

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
First off, what are you using to rip the MP3? The encoder itself is the most important part. I suggest LAME, and as for bitrate, I suggest a VBR (Variable bit rate) as it has high bit rate when needed for high quality sound, but low bit rate when it's not necessary, such as silence in tracks etc. It's a real space saver.

LAME MP3 Encoder

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
First off, what are you using to rip the MP3? The encoder itself is the most important part. I suggest LAME, and as for bitrate, I suggest a VBR (Variable bit rate) as it has high bit rate when needed for high quality sound, but low bit rate when it's not necessary, such as silence in tracks etc. It's a real space saver.

LAME MP3 Encoder

Thanks for the reply. I was just using Windows Media Player. Yeah, checked it out and it doesn't have a VBR option. It will be interesting to see the size difference from what I currently have ripped.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
The encoder itself is the most important part. I suggest LAME, and as for bitrate, I suggest a VBR

+1 on all points. I've encoded MP3's with and without LAME at the same bitrate and LAME produces better sounding results to me every time.

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
320kbps or V0 VBR

Really tho its all personal preference. Eventually you'll notice the difference in low quality items at which point it will drive you crazy.

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
320kbps or V0 VBR

Really tho its all personal preference. Eventually you'll notice the difference in low quality items at which point it will drive you crazy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay