1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 2 Users = 2 Purchases?

I just added my wife as a user on my Nexus 7 that has over a hundred dollars worth of apps already installed on that device.

My motivation was to set up a safe environment where she could learn and get used to the android

However, when I switch to her user interface, it appears that there is no way to access the apps already installed on the device other than to repurchase them and searches have not turned up any information on this restriction.

Anyone able to point me to additional information?

Thanks in advance,
    Beverly Howard

Default Re: 2 Users = 2 Purchases?

Play store app purchases are link to the Google email address used to purchase them. If she is using a separate email address and no she will not have access to purchase and download apps on the device. This is due to the access credentials being linked to your email address not to hers. If you want her to be able to use these apps she will need to use your account or repurchase them.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx!!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunate that it means that there is really no easy way to set up a learning environment... i.e. using my email address means email, contacts, calendar, etc, etc would all be mine and not much motivation to set up a second user.

Thanks again,
    Beverly Howard

You are correct. On a secure stand point its good but a share point not.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by cdicesare2002 View Post
    but a share point not
    Understood...

At 70, the 7" screen is a valuable learning tool for both of us since it's not a huge struggle to "see" what's going on during the learning and familiarization process (she's due for a nexus4)

So, as a workaround on the 7, I had already set her up under her gmail account where's she's learning the sync apps and a few others, and, following your post, found that it's possible to create a third user under my account name which will allow options so that she can thrash about with no danger to "my stuff" and determine what she wants when her new phone arrives.

Thanks again,
    Beverly Howard

Quote Originally Posted by bevhoward View Post
    Understood...

At 70, the 7" screen is a valuable learning tool for both of us since it's not a huge struggle to "see" what's going on during the learning and familiarization process (she's due for a nexus4)

So, as a workaround on the 7, I had already set her up under her gmail account where's she's learning the sync apps and a few others, and, following your post, found that it's possible to create a third user under my account name which will allow options so that she can thrash about with no danger to "my stuff" and determine what she wants when her new phone arrives.

Thanks again,
    Beverly Howard
    Glad you found the work around you needed

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Download Astro file manager on your account (it's free). Save your apps as apk files. On her account, download APK Installer (also free). Install the apk files when she's logged in to the phone. (From another 1942 baby.)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Astro file manager
    Thanks... will take a look at it. At the moment, the custom third user setup meets my needs.

Beverly Howard