1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to get notifications when using wifi

Help please! I am not very tech literate and I really need some help. Is there any way to get notifications across the top of my phone or light notification when I get email, facebook, messenger, etc. when I am using wifi and have limited 3g connection? (such as when I am at work). The messages will come thru but I don't know they are there unless I actually go into the application to check them.

By the way I have a Driod Razr Maxx. I don't know what generation. I've had it for about 8 months. If that helps.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: How to get notifications when using wifi

Go into the app settings and make sure Notifications are enabled. For Gmail, that's under settings > select the email account > check notifications.

You'll need to do the same for other apps which you want to receive notifications. You might also want to go into menu > settings > accounts and make sure the device is syncing.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for the feedback. I have done all of that. I get notifications from all of my accounts when I am using 3G/4G but when I am in my buliding at work where there is no cell phone signal only wifi, I do not get notification. Is that because notification is a function of the cell service and without cell service I am walking around with a tiny computer in my pocket?

When I go in to try an adjust my notifications, I do not see any options to let me pick to notify with wifi or something like that.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

If the apps have a data connection you should receive notifications, both on a mobile data connection and wifi. The only impact should be with sms/mms and voicemail notifications, which I believe rely on a mobile network.

I would also suggest going into the wifi settings and press menu for the advanced menu. Make sure wifi is checked to be "always on".

It should work with the wifi on without any changing of the setting. I dont know how your job's wifi is but at mine once I connect to the wifi in settings I then have to go to the browser and sign in with my employee info to access data via the wifi. Are you able to go on to the internet and applications that use data on the phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I don't have to use my employee info to log onto to the work wifi. I use the patient/quest information. Once I logged onto wifi today I looked all over to try and find information speficically about notification. I didn't see anything. When I leave at the end of the day and get close enough to the front door to get network signal back--my pocket sounds like a parade going off in my pocket from all the "notifications" from emails, facebook updates, etc. that I have already replied to and seen throughout the day.

This is more of a irritation for me then anything else, I was just wondering if it was a stupid easy fix that I was missing.

Also, skrmagnus yes i checked the advanced settings and wifi is checked to always on.

I have the same issue with my work wifi and notifications on Android.

Using a Galaxy Note II w/ 4.1, stock rom not rooted.

Work wifi is password protected, WEP.

When I'm inside, I do not get most notifications, however I do get some. I notice gmail and gchat notifications in my notification center and I am alerted when they come in.

However, very commonly when I walk out to the parking lot and 4G turns back on, I will be given a deluge of parked notifications. DrawSomething pings, Google Play downloads, my iCloud email sync, Facebook notifications all instantly arrive turning my phone into a vibrator for a few seconds. (Gotta love the fact that OTA Google Play downloads wait for Mobile Data before downloading -- thanks v_v;; )

Very strange behavior, and I've gotten in the habit of just walking outside every now and then to get some exercise, fresh air and fresh notifications

EDIT: I should note -- my home network is wifi password protected as well, and all notifications arrive instantly. (It's humorous when a Facebook notification comes in and multiple Android owners all get pinged at literally the exact same moment in time. )

I should also note that wifi is set to "always" and the only wifi network to display this behavior is my work network.

It could be that your works wifi network has certain originating sites blocked for data. For instance they could deliberately block all connections to email services through their network similar to how they can block certain sites when accessing from a work computer.
    Another possibility is that after you connect to the Wifi you need to open a browser and "agree" to the terms and conditions similar to how many restaurants (Roosters Wings in my town) setup their public hotspots.
    I have to do something similar at my office and it drove me nuts the first couple days because I had a strong Wifi signal and couldn't do anything with it until I figured it out.

It probably is some setting on their end.

It's not a browser-based system and iOS devices get all notifications fine. But this company is a bit more Android friendly than Apple so it's entirely possible the IT team understands how to block some Android stuff and not iOS stuff.

They'd have to be blocking just the data for notifications though, because the apps themselves and the websites they correspond with work well.

Heck, I'm willing to bet it's settings on the network that they're not even cognizant of. Some ports or something automatically turned off by an overzealous firewall or router that is unintentionally causing the behavior.

It's not a big deal, I just wanted to chime in and give some more data to interested parties.