Email question - Blackberry style deletion

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried Android a few years back and it just wasn't for me at the time. Now, I'm considering giving it another round. The phone will likely be a RZR Maxx or D4.

One of the biggest features that I found missing in Android was the ability to delete mail on handheld only, or handheld and server on a per message basis. (For those not aware, you can set BB to do either automatically, or prompt, which is what I like.)

Is there any solution for this on Droid these days?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's up to the email server, not the phone. Blackberrys use RIM's email server, which uses a proprietary protocol. Using POP3 you can delete emails on the phone without deleting them from the server (but you'll download them again the next time you download emails). Using IMAP you delete them or not, you can't selectively delete them. And those are the only email protocols the world outside of RIM uses. If you want to use RIM email you have to use a Blackberry.

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I understand POP and IMAP technologies. In most POP clients, you have the option to delete from server when deleted or not.

What I'm surprised at is that nobody has written an app to make it a "per message" setting instead of a client wide setting.