Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does anyone have problems with using 64gb microsds in Android?

I use my 64gb card for all my music. Most of the time it'll playback everything fine, but once in a while it seems like it'll make a multiple duplicates of every mp3s I have stored on the card (not the ones that are on the phones internal memory). Sometimes when I'm even playing the mp3s, it'll stop midway and say the file isn't recognizable. All of this isn't fixed until I clear out the data from the memory storage where all the unplayable duplicated files are deleted.

It's a Galaxy S2, Android version 4.0.3

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MMuzzy's Jelly Bean - 4.2

Default Re: Does anyone have problems with using 64gb microsds in Android?

I use a 64GB SanDisk Ultra in my Asus Transformer Infinity tablet with no problems. Usually use it to watch movies. Sounds like it might a phone problem, hopefully someone here can help you.

Global Posts
    20,172 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

It depends on the hardware, not the operating system. The S2 hardware addresses 32GB, so a 64GB card can look like 2 cards in parallel, and you'll get that "file isn't recognizable" problem once in a while. Get a 32GB card. (You don't get 64GB in an S2 with a 64GB card, you're still limited to 32GB of external storage.)
    drewsg likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Interesting. I didn't know that, because I had more than 32GBs of mp3s on my card and it seemed to recognize it fine.

Is that a problem limited to the S2, or does the S3 and future generations handle 64GB sd cards better?

]I've had the same issue on my Samsung Transform Ultra. I seem to have solved it with formating. My 64gb card would always be recognized as 32gb regularly. However, when I formated the card in my old @$$ HTC Wildfire S, it came up as 64gb. Then all my other phones would read it as 64gb. I haven't filled it yet to make sure its viable but I have no data transfer issues. The Wildfire formated the card exFat which I guess my even newer Smartphones wouldn't do. Also, speed may also play a factor. I have 2 64gb micro sd cards. One is class 4, the other class 10. The class 4 works perfectly with the new formatting. The class 10 has had a myriad of data transfer issues. If someone knows more about this I would appreciate the knowledge.

Welcome to Android Central! Not all Android devices support exFAT, though. For example, when I inserted a new 64 GB microSD into my Razr Maxx, it informed me that the format was incompatible (it came with exFAT), and offered to reformat it to FAT32, after which it worked fine (and all 64 GB were available).

SD card support can be screwy, since there is actually no native support for them in pure Android. The support depends on the additional code the manufacturers throw in for their devices that do have microSD slots. Samsung has been notorious for problems with SD card support, so it can be difficult to say if a problem is due to the device or the card.