New smart phone user data use question

bren5666

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I've recently decided to begin shopping for a smart phone. All the estimates from the major carriers showed I would use between 2 and 3 gb per month. On a fluke I checked my usage for my home computer which uses time warner and it shows I average about 15gb per month! Are smart phones and home computers rated differently? I was planning to cut out my time warner service, but If the number's are accurate that's not going to happen!

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Your amount of usage at home will probably not nearly equal the usage your phone will get. I would not recommend cutting out your home service unless you do nothing other than check e-mail. I'd say if you're just doing the basics like reading news, checking e-mail, and keeping up on things like Facebook and Twitter, 2-3GB would be plenty. To give you something to compare to, I am constantly on the forums, checking e-mail and social networks, and streaming all my music, as well as tethering my connection to my tablet when needed, and I rarely go past 2GB in a month. I'd say go for a 1-2GB option, and see what the overage rates are. Resign to the fact that you're a new user, and you might end up having to pay for that extra GB for the first month, and change your plan if you feel it's necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what devices are you looking at? :)

bren5666

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I was originally looking at the Galaxy Express or Galaxy S3 ( on sale for $100)and going with AT&T. I'm starting to wonder if if I shouldn't go with t- mobile and their unlimited data plan. The only phone in my range with them that I think I may like is the Nokia Lumia 710 but the reviews have been mixed

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Most people don't need the unlimited, they just like to know they have it. Personally, the cost of the device is usually the deciding factor, I can work with whatever the plan offers.

Are you wanting to go no-contract and pay a little more for the phone, or are you willing to sign a contract?

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
What do you see yourself using your phone for (as far as services that use data are concerned)? Browsing? Social networks? Things like Netflix?

bren5666

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm leaning toward No Contract due to the fact that I really need to see how I'll like using a smartphone and to see if it meets my needs. I would be using the phone mostly for web browsing and a spending a little time on facebook and youtube.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, you can get a Nexus 4, top of the line hardware with the stock Android experience for $299 from Google, and run it on T-Mobile's prepaid plans, or if T-Mobile coverage isn't great where you are, you can put it on Straight Talk running off of AT&T's towers. That's my recommendation. For what you plan to use the phone for, 2GB should be plenty of data for you.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Let us know what you end up getting, and feel free to keep browsing the forums in the meantime to help your decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49