1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Resets, wipes, so many, what do they do?

So there are many different options for resets and wipes, mostly I'm familiar with installing ROMs through clockworkmod recovery, where you wipe data and cache. And when installing certain mods or troubleshooting the phone, sometimes wiping cache and/or dalvik is called for. However, there is also an option in the stock andorid settings menu for a factory reset.

I was having some troubles with my phone after OTA upgrade form ICS 4.0.4 to JB 4.1.1 (VZW Galaxy Nexus). I decided to do a factory reset through the stock settings menu. Luckily I backed everything up, nandroid, photos, and all files from sdcard, because my sdcard got wiped. However, I just did another factory reset through the stock settings menu and my sdcard did not get wiped. Am I remembering wrong? Maybe I am remembering the details incorrectly ... as I did some romming back and forth between 4.1 and 4.2. The factory reset also did not remove root, or any apps I had install in the system folder -- this I am sure of.

But if I select wipe data / factory reset from clockworkmod recovery, doesn't it completely wipe the phone and its OS? So it wouldn't even have anything to boot into, correct? If so, the use of the terms "factory reset" and "wipe data" are misleading, and there doesn't seem to be a convention...

Is there anyone who has detailed knowledge about what each of the wiping/resetting chaoice do from the various apps and settings menu? E.g.: What folders get completely deleted/formatted? What doesn't get touched? What affects the recovery and system partitions/folders? How about the boot (bootloader? boot.img/kernel?)?

I figured this was relevant to all devices running android, but feel free to move this post to where it belongs better...

Default Re: Resets, wipes, so many, what do they do?

factory reset wont wipe root or any system app. thats the whole point of system app.

btw, factory reset wont wipe the OS it will only wipe user app and all user data.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So I guess my next questions would be: what is user data? It doesn't include the sdcard or does it? Does it just mean user data associated with user installed and system apps, but not any data that those apps has written to the sdcard?

So then what does the wipe data / factory reset option in clockworkmod recovery do? Doesn't that actually wipe out the OS? Or is it really the exact same thing as factory reset from the stock android settings menu?

Quote Originally Posted by dhworph View Post
    So I guess my next questions would be: what is user data? It doesn't include the sdcard or does it? Does it just mean user data associated with user installed and system apps, but not any data that those apps has written to the sdcard?

So then what does the wipe data / factory reset option in clockworkmod recovery do? Doesn't that actually wipe out the OS? Or is it really the exact same thing as factory reset from the stock android settings menu?
    factory rest on recovery and stock are both the same. and both will wipe only data and will NEVER WIPE OS.
    user data are the one created by apps. for example if you login to facebook app and when you open the app its still logged in. how is that possible? user data. saved keep track of logins etc.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ah... then I was mistaken, I thought wiping data from recovery means you won't have an OS to boot into, as I thought it was "formatting /system" in the sense of removing all files from it. I would almost swear that the first time I did a factory reset from the stock settings menu, it wiped my sdcard, but it didn't the second time I factory resetted... I know it warns that all that stuff will (or could?) be deleted when you are resetting from the stock OS menu.