1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question New Android User: Everytime I add pictures to my phone, they get duplicated. Why?

Hello everyone,

Brand new Android user here. Just got my Nexus 4 a couple weeks ago. Here's my problem:

1. I have about 30 pictures on my Dropbox. Using the Astro File Manager I connected to my Dropbox account and I copied all of those pictures and then pasted them under storage > sdcard0 > Pictures.
    2. After a while I noticed that all of these files were now appearing under storage > emulated > 0 > Pictures as well. And if I go to my Gallery app the 30 pictures are listed twice under two separate, identically named, folders.
    3. If I delete one of them, eventually they both disappear.

What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: New Android User: Everytime I add pictures to my phone, they get duplicated. Why?

Congrats on being a new android user! One I have never had great experience using drop box. Once you upload something they shouldn't delete from drop box. The reason that you have two identical folders is one is for your DCIM which is on your sd card the other one is used for drop box itself. What I would do is copy all of your pictures from your phone to you computer to make a back up copy. Then delete from you non dropbox file folder on the phone.

Default Re: New Android User: Everytime I add pictures to my phone, they get duplicated. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by sonicgarbage View Post
    Hello everyone,

Brand new Android user here. Just got my Nexus 4 a couple weeks ago. Here's my problem:

1. I have about 30 pictures on my Dropbox. Using the Astro File Manager I connected to my Dropbox account and I copied all of those pictures and then pasted them under storage > sdcard0 > Pictures.
    2. After a while I noticed that all of these files were now appearing under storage > emulated > 0 > Pictures as well. And if I go to my Gallery app the 30 pictures are listed twice under two separate, identically named, folders.
    3. If I delete one of them, eventually they both disappear.

What am I doing wrong?
    you are doing nothing wrong. those two folders are called symlink in linux, just like folder shortcuts in windows.
    one folder is just the shortcut of other. This is done to enable multiuser support in Android 4.2.2

storage > emulated > 0 > Pictures 0 stands for main user. if you create more user it will be 1,2,3 etc.

so dont worry about it
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

OK, so its not actually duplicated content then. That's good to know. However, it still shows up twice in the photo gallery app. Is there anyway to fix that or am I just gonna have to live with it?

OK, so its not actually duplicated content then. That's good to know. However, it still shows up twice in the photo gallery app. Is there anyway to fix that or am I just gonna have to live with it?
    My guess is the photos you take are uploaded to google+ which shows up as 2 or there is an issue with gallery app.
    does it show picasa icon on one of the gallery?
    if you can post a screenshot of the duplicate. that will help me identify the issue.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Here's a screenshot.

Nothing has been added to my Google+ account. And the Picasa icon isn't on either of the albums.

Something new I just noticed. If I use the Gallery app and look at the details of the images, one album points to the pictures being located in storage > emulated > 0 > Pictures (which I already knew was happening) and the other album points to them being located in storage > emulated > legacy > Pictures. Which is new to me. This is all after having placed them originally in storage > sdcard0 > Pictures.

So weird.

Screenshot of details window on two identical images from my gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Android User: Everytime I add pictures to my phone, they get duplicated. Why?-uploadfromtaptalk1361824562130.jpg  
    Last edited by sonicgarbage; 02-25-2013 at 03:02 PM.

thats a problem. can you try updating to android 4.2.2?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Already on 4.2.2. =(

Already on 4.2.2. =(
    delete the application data of the gallery app under Settings -> Apps-->All apps-->Clear Cache & Clear data.

take a backup of the picture before you do this. just to be careful.

I believe if you have your gallery open, pull up the menu, and look for view settings. You can choose which albums to view, make sure Dropbox is not checked.

Sent from my Note 2 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Android User: Everytime I add pictures to my phone, they get duplicated. Why?-uploadfromtaptalk1361924420250.jpg