New Android User: Everytime I add pictures to my phone, they get duplicated. Why?

sonicgarbage

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Brand new Android user here. Just got my Nexus 4 a couple weeks ago. Here's my problem:

1. I have about 30 pictures on my Dropbox. Using the Astro File Manager I connected to my Dropbox account and I copied all of those pictures and then pasted them under storage > sdcard0 > Pictures.
  2. After a while I noticed that all of these files were now appearing under storage > emulated > 0 > Pictures as well. And if I go to my Gallery app the 30 pictures are listed twice under two separate, identically named, folders.
  3. If I delete one of them, eventually they both disappear.

What am I doing wrong?

techjunkie92

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on being a new android user! One I have never had great experience using drop box. Once you upload something they shouldn't delete from drop box. The reason that you have two identical folders is one is for your DCIM which is on your sd card the other one is used for drop box itself. What I would do is copy all of your pictures from your phone to you computer to make a back up copy. Then delete from you non dropbox file folder on the phone.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Brand new Android user here. Just got my Nexus 4 a couple weeks ago. Here's my problem:

1. I have about 30 pictures on my Dropbox. Using the Astro File Manager I connected to my Dropbox account and I copied all of those pictures and then pasted them under storage > sdcard0 > Pictures.
  2. After a while I noticed that all of these files were now appearing under storage > emulated > 0 > Pictures as well. And if I go to my Gallery app the 30 pictures are listed twice under two separate, identically named, folders.
  3. If I delete one of them, eventually they both disappear.

What am I doing wrong?
you are doing nothing wrong. those two folders are called symlink in linux, just like folder shortcuts in windows.
one folder is just the shortcut of other. This is done to enable multiuser support in Android 4.2.2

storage > emulated > 0 > Pictures 0 stands for main user. if you create more user it will be 1,2,3 etc.

so dont worry about it

sonicgarbage

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
OK, so its not actually duplicated content then. That's good to know. However, it still shows up twice in the photo gallery app. Is there anyway to fix that or am I just gonna have to live with it?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, so its not actually duplicated content then. That's good to know. However, it still shows up twice in the photo gallery app. Is there anyway to fix that or am I just gonna have to live with it?

My guess is the photos you take are uploaded to google+ which shows up as 2 or there is an issue with gallery app.
does it show picasa icon on one of the gallery?
if you can post a screenshot of the duplicate. that will help me identify the issue.

sonicgarbage

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Here's a screenshot.

Nothing has been added to my Google+ account. And the Picasa icon isn't on either of the albums.

Something new I just noticed. If I use the Gallery app and look at the details of the images, one album points to the pictures being located in storage > emulated > 0 > Pictures (which I already knew was happening) and the other album points to them being located in storage > emulated > legacy > Pictures. Which is new to me. This is all after having placed them originally in storage > sdcard0 > Pictures.

So weird.

Screenshot of details window on two identical images from my gallery. http://imgur.com/a/M6ToC

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361824562130.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361824562130.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Mike4G

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I believe if you have your gallery open, pull up the menu, and look for view settings. You can choose which albums to view, make sure Dropbox is not checked.

Sent from my Note 2 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361924420250.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361924420250.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 25

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool