[SOLVED] [ANDROID] What to do if sd card is mounted read-only/can't write to the sd card

Lorenz HB

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
sadly your post didn't work as once i select the drive in windows explorer, i can do "properties", but "tools" is not available.
now, i can see the files in my download folder from my PC and from my phone. even access them (they are downloaded movies: .mp4 and .flv). in the past (with KK and lollipop) i could download, delete, move, etc... my files via my phone or via my computer. now it seems that i can download the file, but i cannot delete it (neither via phone or via desktop).
on phone it says: "check to make sure it's not mounted as read only", but once i check it via PC, it's not checked as read-only. if i try to delete via PC, it just says it couldn't and to either skip file or stop. something i never had before.
i checked with ConnectBot to see that i am indeed rooted. "quickboot" doesn't work, although that may be because of lollipop, as i hadn't tested it before i had the read-only issue.

in other words, i can download files, but i cannot delete them. eventually i will run out of storage.
i can also not find the "tools" option, as it's just not available.

any other suggestions?
thanks a bunch
- Lorenz

- Nexus 5
- Lollipop 5.0
- Franco kernel r68
- Rooted and unlocked

Reza Jalili

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: [SOLVED] [ANDROID] What to do if sd card is mounted read-only/can�t write to the sd card

My micro SD card is on exfat format and write protected. I use a Samsung 64GB and there are some files that I can neither delete or save something on it. Please help me to fix that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: [SOLVED] [ANDROID] What to do if sd card is mounted read-only/can�t write to the sd card

If it's a SanDisk card, go to SanDisk microSD Tech Support and open a live chat (box at the upper right). They'll replace defective cards.

Samsung probably will too, but getting to them isn't as easy as getting to SanDisk.

Other manufacturers? Since they're using Samsung or SanDisk chips in their cards (there are no others), who knows?

xberserker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
SOLUTION
Fix the FAT
- connect device to your PC (USB connection) and make sure it's set so that you can copy files to/from your computer (on my device in the notification panel there's an option to do this under USB connected)
- on your pc, open windows explorer (or click on start->computer), then right click on the mapped drive to your sd card you may have to wait a minute or two for the mapping to take effect
- select Properties
- select Tools
- select Check now (for error checking) to automatically fix file system errors (no need to deal with bad sectors at this time)
- when completed (takes a minute or so), the FAT will be in working order once again. No files are deleted during the process, so no need to worry about that.
- safely disconnect the device from your pc, at which point the sd card will now be mounted read-write and you're good to go

Is there a way to do this on OS X? My phone isn't rooted & not interested in that.

Aries N Zit

May 14, 2015
Visit site
my 8GB sd card is mounted as read only and i cant check the errors like the way u have provided . I can't map the device.My sd card is named as removeable disk F: but while i go into the map network device by right clicking in my computer there is no F: . please help me out

Thanks for the helpful write-up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon McClung

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
- on your pc, open windows explorer (or click on start->computer), then right click on the mapped drive to your sd card � you may have to wait a minute or two for the mapping to take effect
- select Properties
- select Tools
- select Check now� (for error checking) to automatically fix file system errors (no need to deal with bad sectors at this time)

This doesn't work for me. When I look at my phone on my computer, I see a folder for internal storage and a folder for the sd card, but no drives. When I right click on the sd card and select Properties, there are no options. It just shows me how much available space there is. How do I get to this other place where I can select Tools and Check now?

mnicolaas

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I signed up here just to say thanks!
Micro sd card is working properly again after going through your steps.
Could indeed only read all of the sudden, whereas it was a fully functional card before on my previous phone.
So thanks! :)

jknerdy81

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I used the steps provided and it fixed the problem temporarily. After maybe a couple hours I noticed it had reverted back to read only. Anytime my phone restarts or powers on files I have previously deleted reappear. I really hope the card itself is not bad.

Xeffect

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I used the steps provided and it fixed the problem temporarily. After maybe a couple hours I noticed it had reverted back to read only. Anytime my phone restarts or powers on files I have previously deleted reappear. I really hope the card itself is not bad.
Hello sir I am having exactly the same problem as you had. Like in your case this method also fixed the problem temporarily for me and the deleted files also are reappearing now. I am hoping that you have the solution to this error. If you have then please share

Posted via the Android Central App

Volodya Krok

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Card will became r/o after 10000 cycles of write operation.
If you have an old card it will became r/o one day.
Nothing helps when this happens. You will not fix it.
Just dump your data and buy a new card.

kody-kodz

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
INTRO

This info may help you if the following is true:
- up until now you�ve had no issues when using your sd card
- all of a sudden you can no longer write to the card, perhaps along with an error message being reported that indicates the sd card is mounted read-only

This is another one of those situations where it is not necessary to take extreme measures such as doing a complete reformat, or outright replacing the card�as suggested in the many threads on this subject.

Here are the facts. Your sd card�s file allocation table (FAT) has some kind of error. It�s an android-thing that crops up once in a while. Because of this FAT error, the card automatically gets mounted read-only, and no matter how many times you go into settings and try to unmount/remount the card, it is to no avail.

SOLUTION

Fix the FAT
- connect device to your PC (USB connection) and make sure it�s set so that you can copy files to/from your computer (on my device in the notification panel there�s an option to do this under �USB connected�)
- on your pc, open windows explorer (or click on start->computer), then right click on the mapped drive to your sd card � you may have to wait a minute or two for the mapping to take effect
- select Properties
- select Tools
- select Check now� (for error checking) to automatically fix file system errors (no need to deal with bad sectors at this time)
- when completed (takes a minute or so), the FAT will be in working order once again. No files are deleted during the process, so no need to worry about that.
- safely disconnect the device from your pc, at which point the sd card will now be mounted read-write and you�re good to go

Please, I need an immediate response if possible. I've clicked on my file explorer(windows 10) and I don't know what you mean by "right click on the mapped drive to your SD card".
Please help because I've had this problem with a previous SD card and o can't let it happen again.

Justpostin

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
If you can't see Tools, just
1. Turn off phone
2. Remove microSD card
3. Insert the card in adapter then your computer
4. Open My Computer (as Admin not LimitedUser); right click on that SD drive> Properties

Then you should see Tools, follow the instructions in the other post to fix the FAT error :

- safely disconnect the device from your pc, at which point the sd card will now be mounted read-write and you're good to go

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza