Can't get email address from contact

Kullaberg

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi! This is my first post in this forum and I'm hoping for some help to solve my problem! The problem that I have is, that I can't get the email address from the ContactContract! The name and number works fine, but not the email address! I have been trying to solve this for days, but I don't know whats wrong or if I have missed something in my code!? I preciate help to be able to run my code! Perhaps there is a better way compared to my code? Please help me to improve my code or how to do it in another way!

This part of the code has a listview of names from the ContactContract. When the user select a name, the code should gather some information like the name, number and email address from the ContactsContract. Since the toast message inside the while loop never shows, I guess the problems has to do with the emails cursor!? Perhaps it's empty?

Help is preciated! Thanks!

Code:
public class Activity_3 extends Activity {

ListView listView;

@Override
	protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
		super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

setContentView(R.layout.activity_3);
		listView = (ListView) findViewById(R.id.contactList);

String[] projection = { ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone.DISPLAY_NAME, 
				ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone.NUMBER,
				ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone._ID };

Cursor cursor1 = getContentResolver().query(ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone.CONTENT_URI, projection, null, null, null);

// From column
		String[] fromColumn = { ContactsContract.Contacts.DISPLAY_NAME };
		// To view
		int[] toView = { R.id.contactItem };

startManagingCursor(cursor1);

ListAdapter adapter = new SimpleCursorAdapter(this, R.layout.activity_3, cursor1, fromColumn, toView);

listView.setAdapter(adapter);

listView.setOnItemClickListener(new OnItemClickListener() {

public void onItemClick(AdapterView<?> adapter, View view, int position, long id) {

String[] projection = { ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone._ID, 
						ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone.DISPLAY_NAME, 
						ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone.NUMBER,
						};

Cursor cursor = getContentResolver().query(ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone.CONTENT_URI, projection, null, null, null);

cursor.moveToPosition(position);

String contactId = cursor.getString(cursor.getColumnIndex(ContactsContract.Contacts._ID));
				String contactName = cursor.getString(cursor.getColumnIndex(ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone.DISPLAY_NAME));
				String contactNumber = cursor.getString(cursor.getColumnIndex(ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Phone.NUMBER));

String pos = Integer.toString(position);

String contactEmailAddress = "?";	
				//Email
				Cursor emails = getContentResolver().query(ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Email.CONTENT_URI, null, ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Email.CONTACT_ID + "=" + contactId, null,  null);

while(emails.moveToNext()){
					contactEmailAddress = emails.getString(emails.getColumnIndex(ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.Email.DATA));
					Toast.makeText(Activity_3.this, contactEmailAddress, Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
				}
				emails.close();

Toast.makeText(Activity_3.this, pos + " " + contactId + " " + contactName + " " + contactNumber + " " + contactEmailAddress, Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
			}
		});
	}
}