Nook Android App Not Associated with ePub eBooks!

natya

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded and installed the Nook Android app from the Google play store. Unfortunately when I click on an ePub book, even one that I downloaded from the B&N Nook store, my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 displays an error message stating that it cannot find an app to run the file. :( If I run Nook first, I can open files by clicking an icon in its list of books. Unfortunately that *only* lists epub books that I downloaded from Barnes & Noble, not any of my other books. (I have ePub books I bought directly from Baen, for example -- no joy.)

I'm a complete novice with the Android O/S and have no prior experience with any smartphone or tablet whatsoever. I'm quite familiar with Windows (up through 7) and several Unix/Linux flavors. Also somewhat familiar with MacOSX (but not iOS). This *has* to be an easy fix, but I've spent about three hours in mortal combat with the tablet and am getting nowhere. What did I do wrong/not do?

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If you're familiar with Windows, I assume you know how to hook your phone up to your PC to copy files to your internal storage (or your SD card, if your phone has one.)

A quick Google search tells me that the Nook app creates a folder called Nook. Inside this folder is another folder called 'My Documents'. You should be able to copy your epub files into that folder, and then use the Filter option inside the Nook app to show those titles.

If the Nook folder isn't in the root of your internal storage or SD card, it may be in the Android folder (which is also on your internal storage or SD card), so in that case, it would be Android/Nook/My Documents

Hope that helps

natya

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I found the proper folder and copied my own ebooks to it. The Nook app does not "see" any of those eBooks except for the ones that it downloaded from the B&N Nook store, however. I think there's a database that it keeps. That would not be an issue if there was a F)ile O)pen dialog, or if double-clicking the ebook file in folder view didn't bring up an error. But it does. :( So I can't read any books that I didn't buy from B&N.

There *has* to be a way to add the proper file association to the Android OS -- but what is it?

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Try downloading another file manager from Play such as ES File Explorer or ASTRO and clicking on your ebook from there.

Sent from my dirty rainbow unicorn Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD (HorriblyDeveloped)

natya

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'll do that for other problems, BUT -- found the answer to *this* issue finally over on barnesandnoble.com. :) The folder/directory that must be used for non-B&N downloads is "My Documents", *NOT* "Content". (Where all stuff downloaded from B&N itself is placed.) Then, in the Nook App, you have to select "My Files" explicitly to see these files. "All" doesn't display them. If you do, though, everything works correctly.

So now I get to curl up with a good book before I go to sleep tonight. :)

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll do that for other problems, BUT -- found the answer to *this* issue finally over on barnesandnoble.com. :) The folder/directory that must be used for non-B&N downloads is "My Documents", *NOT* "Content". (Where all stuff downloaded from B&N itself is placed.) Then, in the Nook App, you have to select "My Files" explicitly to see these files. "All" doesn't display them. If you do, though, everything works correctly.

So now I get to curl up with a good book before I go to sleep tonight. :)

I told you to put them in that folder in my first reply, lol. Glad it's working.

Sent from my dirty rainbow unicorn Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD (HorriblyDeveloped)