old tekkie Android noob needs help xfering multiple file types from Mac

hen3ry

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7, Android 4.2.2
Hello,
I've got a collection of standard files (.mp4, .pdf, .jpg, .txt, .rtf, .doc, .docx, etc.) on my Mac to transfer to the Nexus in preparation for an upcoming trip.

The physical transfer is easy -- I've figured out a number of methods: Bluetooth, USB, FTP, SDcard, email attachment.

Having trouble getting my head around Android... in particular, where stuff goes, and how files are connected with apps. I could put all these files somewhere safe and use terminal shell commands, mostly mv, later to put each file in the right place ... if I could figure out how to do that, if it is possible, not rooted. I noticed that at least some placement is auto-magic. For example, if I send a JPG via Bluetooth, the file is immediately visible in Gallery. Other transfer methods want me to pick the target directory. Can I pick the right directory for each app and, say, FTP the files over?

I'd appreciate a brief summary of how to accomplish this. And maybe a few sentences on comprehending the Android model suitable for an old tekkie.

TIA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
popipro