Why Google should kill Android, and replace it with Chrome OS.

nube_android

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Why Google should kill Android-
Now before every fandroid and their cousin flips about this, let me explain.
Android is a pretty cool operating system. I own a N7 and an LG Optimus G, and they're great devices. But something feels missing. The entire user experience feels broken with Android. LG, Samsung and HTC essentially fork the OS by using their own bloatware, carrier bloatware (Don't even get me started on that) and the worst: UI overlays. Android also lags and force closes apps quite a bit (even with JB) However, Android is very open, which is good, but is also it's achilles heel. So what if Google took what they've learned from Android and restarted with Chrome OS for phones and tablets. While doing so, Google could find a happy medium between being open and providing a good user experience like (iOS). No more bloatware, special UIs or anything, with guaranteed updates. And Google also allowed Android apps to still run on Chrome OS, but pushed for web apps. Not to mention, I bet they could make Chrome OS run faster than Android on low- end specs.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Why Google should kill Android-
Now before every fandroid and their cousin flips about this, let me explain.
Android is a pretty cool operating system. I own a N7 and an LG Optimus G, and they're great devices. But something feels missing. The entire user experience feels broken with Android. LG, Samsung and HTC essentially fork the OS by using their own bloatware, carrier bloatware (Don't even get me started on that) and the worst: UI overlays. Android also lags and force closes apps quite a bit (even with JB) However, Android is very open, which is good, but is also it's achilles heel. So what if Google took what they've learned from Android and restarted with Chrome OS for phones and tablets. While doing so, Google could find a happy medium between being open and providing a good user experience like (iOS). No more bloatware, special UIs or anything, with guaranteed updates. And Google also allowed Android apps to still run on Chrome OS, but pushed for web apps. Not to mention, I bet they could make Chrome OS run faster than Android on low- end specs.

Android hardly... if at all... lags on higher end smartphone. Android lags on lower end devices because of the their specs. Google developes Android and it's on the manufacturers to build the hardware to run it. You get what you pay for. It's the manufacturers and carriers that load devices with extra bloatware. If you really wants. to experience Android the way it was meant... get a Nexus 4, 7 or 10. Manufacturer and carrier branded devices are the issue... not Android. I have the Nexus 4 and disagree with your viewpoint. Google obviously is doing the right thing with both the Chrome and Android OS's or else Android wouldn't be number 1 in the world.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So you're saying that Google should release phones running an unmodified version of their software, free of vendor and carrier modification.

o_O

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And Google also allowed Android apps to still run on Chrome OS, but pushed for web apps.

Tell you what, you pay for the bandwidth charges for all this extra data use caused by pushing more and more apps, music, storage, etc to web based environments and I'll consider it. Until then, I'll stick to a local storage based environment. ;)

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You would not feel diffrence. Android is java platform running on linux, Chrome OS is chrome centric linux, all it do is run chrome. Both runs on linux and in theory they can bundle them, aleast by using chrooting (same as ubuntu on android), but android still be using same java platform and chrome os still be using chrome so there wont be much diffrence.

Besides android is java, if google wants they can run android applications on any system that can handle java, so they dont relly need to merge both, just implement support for android applications in to chrome os

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Phone makers will still need to differentiate their own devices, UIs, special features. That can't be compared with apple by a long shot. Tablets are a different story yet.

How would an HTC, Motorola, Samsung, be what they are otherwise?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress