Samsung Galaxy Ace and Samsung Tablet 10.1 - Over 50's In Need Of Some Advice

timbo1957

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My wife and I are in our mid 50's and late coming to this technology mainly because until now we have only had mobile phones for emergencies. I bought my wife a new Samsung Galaxy Ace phone for Christmas and she is considering buying a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 for me for my birthday. We are confused and need a kindly soul to take pity on us and give us some advice on some basic questions that we have.

Please keep your answers simple, we are not that technical. Your time is much appreciated.

Which is cheaper PAYG or a monthly account with a company like Virgin? We have had PAYG up until now but if we are out and about and switch on Roaming to connect to the Internet would it be better to have a Monthly Account? You are looking at a couple here whp probably spent ?150.00 per year on PAYG in the past. But I can see that with the apps available this could easily go up.

We have worked out that switching the Data Packet off unless you are using your wi fi at home is one way to keep the costs down.

What is the best way to get free wi fi in the UK when you are on the move?

I think that covers the phone.

With regard to the Tablet we would use this for downloading books to read when on holiday or films to watch when travelling long distances by train or plane. There seem to be two options one with 3G and one without. If we had downloaded all the books and films we wanted for at home before embarking on whichever trip we were going on, would we need the 3G?

I have seen something called tethering mentioned on the net but all I can work out is that it has something to do with your mobile phone and the tablet, what and how I have no idea.

Any tips prior to pruchasing this item would be very much welcomed.

Again thank you for your time helping an ageing "techless" couple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance