The Android Dictionary (aka "What the hell are they talking about?!?!")

tylertop22

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been trying to find out what a nandroid is as well. bc everyone says that you need to make a nandroid before you do anything. I figure its a back-up or some kind of recovery file for your android phone. but no one talks about how to create one?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to find out what a nandroid is as well. bc everyone says that you need to make a nandroid before you do anything. I figure its a back-up or some kind of recovery file for your android phone. but no one talks about how to create one?

You need a custom recovery on your phone one of the most common being clockworkmod recovery . When in recovery scroll down to backup/restores . This is where a nandroid is made. Please do alot of research on your particular device before installing a recovery. Depending on your device you may need root access to make such a modification

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

BigBlackAv

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: The Android Dictionary (aka "What the hell are they talking a

please add "detox" (or "deodexed") to the dictionary.

Last edited:

garavin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

What's OG? I've seen in a number of forum posts, usually as a prefix to a particular phone model, as in "I bought an OG EVO".

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
What's OG? I've seen in a number of forum posts, usually as a prefix to a particular phone model, as in "I bought an OG EVO".

OG means "original gangsta" in slang / rap lingo. An OG Evo is probably the original Evo - the first of its kind.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

brassfrog

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

If you're new to Android (and even if you aren't), you'll quickly discover that there are a ton of terms to keep up with. And to that end we've worked up the official Android Central Android Dictionary. Pretty self-explanatory, eh?

You can check out the Android Dictionary here.

That said, we're bound to be missing something. If so, sing out in this thread and we'll get it added.
LTE

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's just a reference to the first iteration of a particular phone model. OG just refers to the first model, or original model.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Reactions: brassfrog

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site

in terms of hosting files, a 'mirror' is a new source for the file - hosted on a separate server than the main download source.

so, a hot file may be available via download link ABC.
and, also available at mirror link #1, mirror link #2, etc.

popular files attract a lot of downloads. in those cases, the files need to be hosted elsewhere to lighten the load on the main server.

---

In case you were referring to Mirror Mode, I noticed this in a Google search:

"It (the Droid Bionic) would also have another attractive feature called “Mirror Mode”. This would enable “simultaneous streaming of video to the TV and on the device.”
(source: http://www.androidnewsblog.com/motorola-lte-droid-bionic-flaunts-“mirror-mode”/)

sportcourt7

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Can someone explain to me what kernel and rom are and what they do? and the difference please?

idarwin

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

That said, we're bound to be missing something. If so, sing out in this thread and we'll get it added.

ANR - App Not Responding (usually but not always caused by a buggy app!).

OpenMoko - an early open source cell phone handset project, now mostly defunct :-( See Openmoko Web Site. They started with their own Linux distro, but Android Cupcake and Eclair were ported to the device. Another company now makes replacement system boards that feature 3G and enough memory and a modern enough CPU to run at least Gingerbread.

Laurel Raven

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I noticed it lists that the Droid Bionic has a dual core Tegra 2. It actually has a dual core OMAP 4430. Anyway, my two cents.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL