The Android Dictionary (aka "What the hell are they talking about?!?!")

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
If you're new to Android (and even if you aren't), you'll quickly discover that there are a ton of terms to keep up with. And to that end we've worked up the official Android Central Android Dictionary. Pretty self-explanatory, eh?

You can check out the Android Dictionary here.

That said, we're bound to be missing something. If so, sing out in this thread and we'll get it added.

Last edited:

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Minor Typo

"YouTube: Google's web-based streaming video service. Accessible from and Android phone."

That "and" probably should be "an".

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Some of these may not be necessary, but I'm just throwing them out there:
LTE
Push mail
POP
IMAP
Swype
Launcher/home launcher
Long press
Capacitive vs. resistive touch
2G, 3G, EVDO, 4G
Wi-fi
HDMI
ROM
Airplane mode
Multi task
Multi touch
MEID
Firmware
Gtalk
Stock, as in stock UI
Roaming

bubbasixx

Jul 6, 2010
www.twitter.com
Dictionary Add-on

DLNA - Droid X ability to wirelessly share pix/videos/music w/ other DLNA compatible devices (Server, Controller, Player, Upload & Download)

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see the phone names out of the dictionary. Seems that the important stuff is missing. Maybe make a second dictionary of just phone model names?

bubbasixx

Jul 6, 2010
www.twitter.com
I'd like to see the phone names out of the dictionary. Seems that the important stuff is missing. Maybe make a second dictionary of just phone model names?

Not a bad idea Overboost. Of course this is sort of designed to be an Android Dictionary for EVERYONE. That being the case, it is probably not a bad idea to keep all of this together in one place as a new or prospective Android user may find it helpful to find all of this information together.

Phil, maybe you could use different colors for the word listings. One color for phone names, another for network techinical terms, maybe another for device terms. This might not be a bad idea just in case some Android rookie is wondering why in the world you have listed food in the dictionary.

No matter what you do this is a REALLY great idea for everyone. Good luck adding in all of our suggestions and constructing a truly educational experience for any anDroid user.

JerryG

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Bootloader and apk info...

A bootloader is a small program that runs before any other, and lets you choose which operating system you'd like to run (if you have more than one installed), or (for example) a maintenance program (like recovery mode).

Google LILO (LInux LOader) or GRUB (Grand Unified Boot Loader) for more detail (if you like...). I use GRUB on my Linux box at home, to choose between Ubuntu (32 or 64-bit versions), and Vista (64-bit).

It's definitely not a "mode".

I haven't researched it, but I'd believe apk stands for Android PacKage, which would consist of the app, install and/or remove scripts, and configuration files (some of these may be optional, though not the app <grin>).

They'd be analogous to .deb and .rpm files on Debian and Red Hat GNU/Linux based systems.

HTH/Cheers,
-Jerry

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I agree with this, or if not a second dictionary, a separate section for phone names afterwards.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
this may seem funny, but being as the term gets kicked around on the site, podcast, and forums, it might not be a bad idea to actually add "philblur". its not an official android term, but lets face it, it probably should be :)

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
"Hard Reset"

Seems to be coming up a lot today after the Froyo update. Probably nice to have added to the dictionary to clear it up for anyone who has a question as to what it means and does to your phone.