Why do you need hard storage on your phone ex. anything over 16gbs?

Klubrano

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
My friend and I, have arguments all the time, me for android and him for apple. A question he raises multiple times is why do you need so much sotrage on your phone when almost everything is in the cloud now? I feel like is a fair points he raises and I dont really know the answer. Especially if you subscribed to music streaming services.
I guess an easier way to ask this question is why does anyone need to go out and get a 64gb HTC One??
I really appreciate all responses. ( this was my first post here so hopefully I did this right)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Cloud storage requires a data connection, which isn't always fast nor available, and which can also cost extra money if you have a limited data plan (which is becoming the norm) and exceed your monthly limit. Also, music quality may be decreased if streaming over a slow connection, or if you're trying to save bandwidth. If you use your phone heavily for music or photography, it's nice to have that media stored locally so you can access it quickly and for free.

On top of that, mobile games are getting bigger and better. Games like Asphalt 7 and Shadowgun take up at least 1GB of storage, so if you're heavily into games, you're going to need more onboard storage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
^^ Ditto. Same if you travel a lot and want a somewhat decent collection of movies or music while in airplanes (or maybe you need to store a lot of documents locally to work offline). Or maybe you want to have offline maps for navigation, or maybe you hike or bike (or whatever) a lot and want to load a bunch of topo maps. Or maybe you take a ton of pictures without syncing them up to the cloud. Or maybe you have a job that requires an app that you need to keep a lot of data local. Or maybe you're a heavy data user and it's just better to have music local than to stream due to data caps. Lots of reasons to have storage.

That being said, I bought a 32GB Galaxy S3 and a 64GB card. I don't use anywhere near that amount since I have nearly everything in the cloud **shrug**. But IMO it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Shanghaichica1

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a true unlimited data plan and the connection isn't always stable or fast enough to allow me to stream music/videos uninterrupted. Plus there are some places you go where the Internet is unavailable ie on the underground (subway).

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Android Central forums

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Half of my daily commute is through a mountain area where not one single carrier has service. I use my phone for music and podcasts for my commute. Due to the lack of service, I have to download everything. I like to have a wide variety because I do not like trying to plan the night before what I want to listen to the next day and I don't like having to manage my music daily. With a high capacity device, I can keep a ton of media on my phone so I'm set no matter what music/podcast mood strikes me for my morning commute.