Tethering speeds slow to a crawl.....

DwD44

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, despite my best efforts to find a better alternative, where I live my only option for unlimited internet with any speed whatsoever is to tether my DROID DNA phone to my computer using the app PdaNet. I've been doing this for over a year now without any problems. I don't use my laptop very much, so I'm mainly just tethering with a USB cable to my desktop PC. I have an unlimited data plan through Verizon and although I only have 3G at my house, it is still far better than anything else I've found.

Recently I started playing World of Warcraft. Obviously the speed isn't ideal, but it worked perfectly fine for about 3 weeks. One night the game started to get really slow and after a minute or two would freeze up entirely. When this happened, I would have an error message on my phone at the PdaNet screen that read "Communication with client has been broken." Despite restarting things, this continued to happen. I assumed that it was because the weather was bad outside, but the problem didn't go away the next day. When I noticed that my internet speed when browsing the web had slowed down as well I figured that although I supposedly have unlimited data, that Verizon must have slowed me down for crossing over a certain download barrier. I've heard that they do this.

So this went on for the next week until the first of the month when my data was reset through Verizon. Well I'm still having the same issue when trying to play the game. It will work alright for anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes, and then all of a sudden start to get slower and slower until it freezes completely and I have the "Communication with client has been broken" error screen on my phone. My internet speed appears to be doing the same thing. It may work alright when just doing the most basic of tasks and viewing very plain websites, but try to do anything complex like watch a video or even view a site with a lot of graphics and detail, and it starts to slow down until it reaches a point where it isn't even worth trying. At this point I can turn off my tether connection, disconnect and then reconnect my phone and I might get a couple minutes of normal speed before it starts to slow back down again.

I've tried switching to Airplane Mode for a minute, and I've even tried doing a factory reset on my phone, and nothing. I called Verizon to see if they would admit to it being something on their end, and was told "we don't throttle connections." Now I'm just out of ideas. I'm sure there is some detail I'm leaving out, but if anyone has any experience with tethering or PdaNet, especially when gaming, or any familiarity with this error message that I'm receiving, I would really appreciate any sort of help or advice. On a related note, if anyone knows of a better option for unlimited high speed internet than having to use an app to tether my phone then I'm definitely open to hearing about that as well.

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the length.

cbrehob

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
They say they don't throttle.

I was out in Hawaii using 4g and happened to notice any file transfer I had would slow to exactly 125kb/s (can't remember the number exactly).

It was very suspicious, and I could find no knowledge on throttling. I do wonder that some locations, maybe deals with extended networks, would include a throttling type service. Knowing VZ they could "speed cap" you and not "throttle" you. If you get my drift.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Charles May1

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having this exact problem and it just started a day or two ago. I also use PDANET+.

I get the "communication with client has been broken" error A LOT when trying to download files or play online games. I'm also seeing a "speed detected" (example: speed detected:2248 kbps) line on the PDANET+ screen. I've never seen this before.

I just recently upgraded to a Galaxy S3 w/4g (week and a half ago) and I'm wondering if that is the problem...?

I, too, have an unlimited data plan from Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12