1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Droid and GMail - Multiple Sent/Drafts/Trash Folders

Just bought a Droid Incredible, and I setup my Gmail email account (IMAP). Getting emails fine however the Droid isn't sharing Gmail's sent, drafts, & trash folders. My folder list looks like this on both Gmail and Droid:

Inbox
    Sent
    Drafts
    Spam
    Trash
    [Imap] Drafts
    [Imap] Sent
    [Imap] Trash

I delete a message on the Droid, it goes into the "[Imap] Trash" folder. I delete a message in Gmail, it goes into "Trash" folder. Same deal when I send a message or save a draft. Confusing to deal with. How can I make this so I just have one Trash, one Sent mail, and one drafts folder that Gmail and Droid share??

Thanks, first post here.

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Is there a reason why you aren't using the Gmail account?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I am using the Gmail account. This is one gmail account that I am using syncing to the droid.

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

I'm sorry, I meant is there a reason you're not using the Gmail application?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

OK sorry if this is confusing -- so I am using the Gmail web application on my laptop at home, and when I am out I use whatever mail application came with the incredible. Whatever I do on the incredible (make a draft, trash email, or send an email) goes into a folder in Gmail with the prefix of [IMAP]. I'm trying to get the incredible to just use Gmails sent/drafts/trash. Right now I have 6 folders when I should have just 3. Does that make sense?

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Yeah, it does make sense... I think you're using the "Email" app that came with your Droid Incredible instead of your "Gmail" app. The Gmail app should not run into these issues.

If you're using the Email app on purpose (which is what I was trying to figure out before), then I can't help you much as I've never seen a reason to do that. I highly recommend using the Gmail app for all of your Gmailing needs.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Oh wow ... didn't even know there was a Gmail app. I will give that a shot, thanks.

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

No problem Just do me a favor and let me know if it helps
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yep using the gmail droid app cleared up all the multiple folder issues. Too bad I kinda liked the other mail program. Thanks again.

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Glad I could help man. And don't worry, this Gmail app is better at letting you know you got an email.

I have the same issue. Forewarned I'm on a Samsung Captivated, but it the same thing.
    I understand the suggestion to use the Gmail Application instead of the Phones Email Application.

But what about multiple Accounts?
    I use two separate Gmail accounts. One which I use for random websites, signups, and one which I keep slightly private. I do not want the one forwarded to the other.

The Default Android email app has a "Combined Inbox" which will show me an inbox for all of my email accounts, gmail or not. This is VERY Usefully when looking at new emails. I do NOT want to switch the active account in the gmail application Or have to switch back to the Android Email App to check a Non-Gmail Email.

How do I remove the [Imap]/... and/or re-direct them to the Trash, Sent, or Draft folder?

Default Re: Droid and GMail - Multiple Sent/Drafts/Trash Folders

Use filter to move the emails from the IMAP folders back to the correct folder. That's the only workaround that works so far.

Using the Gmail app on Android phone would avoid having the IMAP folders created.

But if you are like me, like to star lots of emails, it will not work. In my case, Gmail App somehow can only see the stared email even in the Inbox (Only if you have so much stared email like me; over 100 of them.) since Gmail shows the stared email before showing regular email.