Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Kenyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HELP!!! My phone is stuck on "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue"

I was trying to update my samsung galaxy exhilarate using Kies but it wasn't working so I unplugged it. But now my phone says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." I can't get it off that screen. Also it says...
    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: SGH-1577
    COSTUM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
    CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL

Don't know what to do, please help.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: HELP!!! My phone is stuck on "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue"

Download the firmware onto your computer from the internet. Make sure it's the right one. Download the drivers for your phone from the internet. Again, be sure it's the right thing. Download the Android SDK from the Android developer site. Get the drivers installed, then setup the SDK. When you're done doing that, use file explorer to go to the platform_tools folder in the SDK, right click on the platform-tools foler and launch command line there.
    Plug your phone in powered on and type "abd devices" without the quotes. If you see the device come up under your devices list you're ready to continue. If the phone does not appear you've either installed the wrong drivers or not installed them properly, go back to the drivers step and get them right untill your phone comes up under the ADB devices list. When that's done, go back to file explorer and find where you downloaded the firmware to, and cut/paste it into the platform-tools folder. Then type adb push filename.ext to /sdcard/. replace filename.ext to the firmware file. When that's done pushing, type adb reboot recovery and it should bring you back to your recovery screen on your phone. Then simply install zip from sdcard and choose the one you pushed onto the phone.

I personaly avoid kies at any cost.

As an afternote to all of this, and not to be a ****: Don't EVER unplug a phone while it's updating. Even if it doesn't look like it's working, sometimes it's just very very slow. If you unplug it you probably WILL soft brick your phone just as you've done.

Good luck, and let me know if you're having any trouble.

Scott
    Thanked by:
    androiduser6y7 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: HELP!!! My phone is stuck on "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue"

I downloaded the Android SDK, but I don't know how to get the correct firmware and driver download. I tried but I think I got the wrong one. What should I look up and how do I know if it's the right one. And I know I shouldn't have done that, it was stupid of me. I made a small thing a lot worse.
    Thanks for the help.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Firstly, I assumed you are using Windows. If this is wrong correct me.
    Search Google for Samsung android driver. Is easy enough to find. Then search for the stock rom for your phone on your carrier. It won't matter for now if it's the updated version or not, let's focus on getting your device working again. Roms differ between carriers. When I get to my laptop I'll be able to find some links for you if you cannot locate them yourself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

This should be easier for you.

Download that, it's the stock TAR for the Galaxy Exhilarate. Push it on using ODIN and your phone should be back to stock Gingerbread.

I haven't used ODIN in awhile, but you install driver (), boot into ODIN mode, open ODIN and select the TAR you downloaded from the link above, then let it do it's thing. You're probably better off reading up on using ODIN but it's pretty simple if you don't know how.
    Good luck and please let me know how it works out.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

No I am using a mac. Do I need to be using windows?

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

I'm looking into whether or not there's a working Odin for mac that doesn't suck.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

It would seem Odin itself isn't made for Mac. There is a command line utility that does the same sort of thing called Heimdall.

As far as using it, I have no experience. You may have to get with some mac guys and have them walk you through the commands to use it. The image (tar) I posted above should restore your phone to GB, you just need the vehicle to get it there. Good luck.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Any luck? I've been hoping you have it worked out.

Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I tried for a while without any luck. I ended up taking it in to the AT&T store and they fixed it in about 15 minutes. I should have done that earlier. But thank you so much for your help. It probably would have been easier if I had a PC but thats ok. Again thank you.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Anytime sir. Glad you have a working device again.

Thanked by:

i had the same problem from the last guy...i was trying to upgrade firmware but its shown firmware upgrade encountered an issue please select recovery mode in kies and try again......please help me....thank u

Help my verizon galaxy s4 is stuck on firmware upgrade encountered an issue

can you help me please my verizon galaxy s4 is stuck in Firmware upgrade encountered and issue

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Veliz View Post
    can you help me please my verizon galaxy s4 is stuck in Firmware upgrade encountered and issue
    Download Odin, the Samsung adb/usb drivers, and the stock s4 factory image for the Verizon S4. Instructions and links can be found here:

Follow those steps and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the firmware link Scott was looking for that, well for the ics one but I guess i can go with this and upgrade.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by OsoVandalo View Post
    Thanks for the firmware link Scott was looking for that, well for the ics one but I guess i can go with this and upgrade.
    No problem. I want you to get a working phone. You can always go back to modding after you're working properly.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

Firmware Encountered an issue tmobile s4 Help

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

What you do depends on whether you initiated the update (you downloaded a file, etc.) or it was OTA (over the air). If it was an OTA update, bring it to a TMobile store and let them fix it, it's their problem, since it's their update.

If you did it, it depends on what version it was being updated to. Anything lower than 4.3 should be fixable by Kies. Tools/Emergency Firmware Recovery. If it's stuck in 4.3 and Kies won't find firmware for it, has an image for it. (Put m919 in the search box.)