Samsung Galaxy S4 SD Card Issue

SexiLexi08

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping that with the S4 this problem would be fixed. I had it happen on my S2 and my S3. I contacted Samsung and was offered a new phone but I knew from the forums here that it likely wouldn't fix the issue. I don't get why they won't admit that there is a problem and search for a fix. I love the Galaxy line but their incompetence on this issue is going to lose me. The SD card is a great thing to have. But if it doesn't work what's the point? I had 2 32gb cards fried by my phone. I gave up on buying anymore and was hoping that the S4 would come with the issue fixed but I guess not.

kimbatheluddite

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Same thing just happened to me. I suspect this will be another little thing it does along with not working when it is cold and humid, or just when I really need it to.

Stlouis92

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping that with the S4 this problem would be fixed. I had it happen on my S2 and my S3. I contacted Samsung and was offered a new phone but I knew from the forums here that it likely wouldn't fix the issue. I don't get why they won't admit that there is a problem and search for a fix. I love the Galaxy line but their incompetence on this issue is going to lose me. The SD card is a great thing to have. But if it doesn't work what's the point? I had 2 32gb cards fried by my phone. I gave up on buying anymore and was hoping that the S4 would come with the issue fixed but I guess not.

Strange, I never had the case with my S2...

onsightit

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Just to add my phone to the list: Brand new Galaxy S4 Active. Brand new high speed SanDisk 64GB SDXC. Randomly unmounts and all my custom ring tones and alarms are set to the embarrassing default sounds. (That's usually how I know it's unmounted the card.) Trying an older 32GB card and will see if it has the same issues, but I really want the XC for camera performance. :-(

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me but shutting the phone down, removing the card and battery and then replacing them resolved it for me and I've not had the issue since. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4

fijiphil

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Further to my earlier posts, once I finished loading my approx 45Gb of music onto my re-formatted card, the issue was back as bad as ever. Would give the "unexpectedly removed" message at the start of any music listening session, then would randomly recur every 5-10 minutes.

So I bit the bullet and bought a 64Gb Samsung card. Had it for about 5 days now. Have been slowly loading my music onto it via iSyncr, and so far through extensive listening, I have not had one occurrence of the problem. I have changed the battery twice, and each time on repowering up I get a "SD card is damaged" message. But soft remounting it in options-storage solves that and everything seems to be OK from there on in.

Let's hope it stays this way. Finally able to enjoy the phone fully!!

roboto777

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Guys backup all data from your sd cards now !!!!!!!!!!

This is a known issue with micro sdhc cards in galaxy phones.

I just lost 3000 family photos and i am absolutely distraught....

Galaxy phones literally melt micro sd cards due to overheating from over accessing the cards.

The card will be destroyed and the data cannot be recovered.

Don't let it happen to you as well ...

Stlouis92

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, I advice you use either google+ or (preferably IMO) Dropbox's auto-sync functions : your photos will be backed up to your PC's HDD and to the Internet as soon as you get back home.

But again, I don't think this is linked to the issue we are discussing : this morning, 18 degrees centigrade, phone somewhat cold, and unused from the whole nite, I want to take a picture and launch the phone application : every single photo it would ask me whether I would like to store the pictures to the SD card because it was just remounted...
One of the photos is unreadable because I suppose the card was unmounted in the course of writing..

Last edited:

jeeess16

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Gahhh I have had the exact same issue, with an ADATA 16BG microSD, on my Samsung Note 10.1. Working fine earlier today, and for the past two months that I've had it. Then boom! "SD card is blank or has unsupported file system". Tried opening it on my laptop, and it just won't read. Had a spare identical card, still in packaging, both devices read that fine.

So is the general jist of this thread that Samsung devices fry memory cards??

madman_20

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Heya..I had the same issue..and would like to share my experience

When I got the phone in May I didn't had any memory card..

I bought my first SanDisk 32GB Class 10 (the one with written "For Android")

And I had issues of missing photos/files on the card..did a format on the phone and it happened again
When trying to take photos and the card decides to do its thing..a notification will pop up saying "unable to access SD Card, switching to phone memory"

After googling and finding out the common issues with SanDisk card..I then decided to use my memory card from my previous phone..it was a Samsung Class 2 8gb card..and it worked fine

Yesterday decided to buy a new Kingston 16gb Class 10 memory card because my work requires alot of photo/video taking and I find the 8gb wasn't sufficient (work and personal photos/videos)..slotted it in and it got detected with no issues..transferred my photos over and it worked fine..

Went to bed and got up today to find the same error everyone's facing "Memory card unexpectedly removed"..I removed and reslotted the card, the phone doesn't detect the card..restarted the phone, the phone still doesn't detect the card..

Slotted back the Samsung 8gb card..detected perfectly..unmount via the settings and slotted in the Kingston, not detected..went to office to read the Kingston card..can't be read on memory card reader, printer with memory card reader, and on the office laptop..seems the card is dead..will be sending the card back to the shop for RMA/1-to-1 exchange (hopefully)

Now I'm back to the Samsung Class 2 8gb card and it works as if nothing went wrong =/

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I was having this issue too. Reformatting the card in my phone resolved the issue for me. I had to put the card in my laptop and copy all my data off before reformatting.

Not rooted, Stock rom, just Awesome (NSA)

madman_20

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Just to share an update

I've got my Kingston 16GB Class 10 replaced (1 to 1) and tested immediately at the service centre..

I slotted the card into the phone and formatted via the phone immediately..later that day I tried taking a photo..and what I fear happened

"Unable to write file in SD Card. Storange Switched to Internal Storage" notice appeared

I re-selected SD Card as storage (as it is still an available option in the settings)..and tried to take the photo again..the same notification appears and switched back to the internal storage

I tried copying some document file as well an mp3 over to the SD card, "Copying Failed" notification appears

Restarted the phone and I was able to copy/move files..as I test with the camera.."Unable to write file in SD Card. Storange Switched to Internal Storage"

Sigh..I guess I have to go back to Samsung 8gb Class 2 memory card that I have

ca2229999

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Lexar 32GB card, inserted into the S4 and worked perfectly. Loaded about 2GB onto the card, all worked for 24 hours.
A day later, the card disappeared from the phone setting. Couldn't see it from KIES anymore.
I re-inserted the card, reset the phone. Popped it out, re-inserted. Nothing, dead. Can not see it any more from Storage or Kies.

Stlouis92

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Not sure I get it. Anyhow, I can't even test it since my Exchange server (work) requires the phone has a PIN and I can't remove it.

Stephenj

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I was having this same problem for ages, when accessing either music or photos on my SD card. I only have photos from my camera and music to use with the Winamp App. Somewhere on this (or another) forum someone suggested putting a small piece of cardboard underneath the SD card when inserting it. This worked great for about 2 weeks, had no problems whatsoever. But now when i access either the Photo Gallery or i take a photo, i get the SD Card Un-expectectly removed error. It seems to happen about 1/4 of the time i use either of these programs (which is an improvement on the frequency to before the cardboard). I no longer have any problems with my music files though. Prior to adding the cardboard, I was having problems with accessing both Music and Photo's on my SD card.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with a 64 gig Kingston SD card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34