Samsung Galaxy S4 SD Card Issue

Stlouis92

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Bought a Samsung card ("micro SDXC UHS-I Card" 64GB, Class 10). It's supposedly temperature proof, Xray proof, magnet proof, and is guaranteed 10 years.
Transferred all my data (30GB+) from my SanDisk 64GB card which was having the unsollicited unmounting issues (transfer : old Card -> PC, PC-> new Card, in both cases using the phone : no issue, but USB might be a bottleneck).

Up to now, experienced no issue, will update you in a few weeks.

bastaci

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Any news? i am suffering the same issue as usual.

Bought a Samsung card ("micro SDXC UHS-I Card" 64GB, Class 10). It's supposedly temperature proof, Xray proof, magnet proof, and is guaranteed 10 years.
Transferred all my data (30GB+) from my SanDisk 64GB card which was having the unsollicited unmounting issues (transfer : old Card -> PC, PC-> new Card, in both cases using the phone : no issue, but USB might be a bottleneck).

Up to now, experienced no issue, will update you in a few weeks.

Shmulik Katz

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I have littel bit other problem with galaxy s4+ samsung 64gb 10 class card.
When I insert it to phone I can see all what I transfer from pc..but I can't write on it truth the phone have availability only to read from the card..
But on other my devices I can write and read.
So I dont know where is the problem.
Thanks for any help

Posted via Android Central App

bastaci

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
First try to connect your card to PC via sd card reader. If you can see your files, you can transfer to PC. Otherwise, there are recovery programs to do the job. In some cases, phone creates a LOST.DIR folder and put everything in there. However, you will not be able to see anything in that folder at first. There are programs to make those files visible. (Forgot the names of mentioned programs. You can find through forums) Once done, your job is not completed unfortunately. Cause file formats would be different. If you know what kind of files you had, you may try to change file extensions and open it. For example, for jpg files try to name a file .jpg and open. If you can, well... :)
Hope this helps.
Today all my pictures were gone from my phone....my sd card does not even appear on my phone was it going on with my S4??? Help how do I get pictures back

Well, for the moment still no issue seen.
I cross my fingers.

Please keep us posted then. I am going back and forth, thinking to buy the same card you have.
Does anyone know if rooting the device and designating the sd card as primary source help to overcome this unmounting issue? I saw somebody made such post in this topic. And, how come some people does not complain with this? I went through tons of forums and many do not seem to have this problem. Maybe we need to learn what setup they have. I am very sorry for not buying LG G2 instead of this crappy phone. Or not buying 32 / 64 gb versions :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Victor151

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I just talked with Samsung technical support about the fact that my SanDisk Ultra 64GB class 10 card only works sometimes on my S4. He said that class 10 is too fast for the phone. He said I should use a Class 4 or 6 and that should work fine. He said it would make no obvious difference in speed. Has anyone else tried this? I'd like to know if it works before buying another card.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I just talked with Samsung technical support about the fact that my SanDisk Ultra 64GB class 10 card only works sometimes on my S4. He said that class 10 is too fast for the phone.
Make sure you clean up before you walk on all that stuff he dropped on the floor. That's like saying that your car won't run because the concrete is too high-speed for the car.

As long as the card is AT LEAST fast enough for the phone, it will operate properly. (I've only been doing this since 1978, so I think I have some small idea of how it works.) If Samsung has designed a phone that won't work with a card that's too fast, they should be run out of the universe on a rail, after being tarred and burned in a star. If they made class 250 SD cards (the class is the access speed), the card should still work just fine with the oldest phone made.

This is just "bull**** excuse of the day" and it seems that the worse they make the products, the more of it they come up with. Where's a good class action suit when you need one?

Stlouis92

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, at first sight I would react the same way : I don't remember how writing to a Flash memory works (and BTW there are plenty of different species these days), but I don't think there was any sort of handshaking that would put you in a bad state if ever you were to slow as a host.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, at first sight I would react the same way : I don't remember how writing to a Flash memory works (and BTW there are plenty of different species these days), but I don't think there was any sort of handshaking that would put you in a bad state if ever you were to slow as a host.
If you try to write after the card dropped access, you'd be writing to the bit bucket. I suppose it's possible to write to a class 10 card with a controller that can write at speeds so high that the wave function of the electrons damages the Strong Force of the copper in the card, but I'll leave that to the Quantum Chromodynamics guys. (And that would turn a class 4 card into Space Warp Cheese.) I have RAM rated at ms speeds, being written to by CPUs running at GHz speeds, with no problem at all (other than the huge number of wait states generated).

No, the "Class 10 cards are too fast" is the lie of the day. I wouldn't even pull that on an office manager, let alone people like some who post here and actually know how semiconductors work.

I can make a couple of wild guesses, though. Sammy may flip modes if you use any card but theirs, and rewrite everything thousands of times. That'll eat cards faster than a starving man eating steak. Or they may use an SSD model to distribute written data if the card is theirs.

Or they may have just made a crappy phone and they're trying anything to kill the bad publicity. (Which isn't working so well, since there's been so much of it the past few months - every phone they come out with seems to have more bugs than features.)

Remember the company that came out with a personal computer that pretty much defined the term? That defined it so well that if your computer wasn't compatible with theirs you might as well go into the pencil-selling business? The company that pretty much defined the top operating system in the world? Then got so big that it decided that customers were just expenses to be eliminated? When's the last time they came out with a new PC? (How do you translate "britches" into Korean?)

Stlouis92

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
H?h? ;-)
Actually MS did not even invent their OS : they stole it. I remember quite well the law suit. The ones with the most expensive lawyers won.

Back to the cards : it really seems to me that the Samsung card works... Never experienced an unexpected unmounting since I changed.

This really requires an explanation. It's open source, isn't it ?

bastaci

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you clean up before you walk on all that stuff he dropped on the floor. That's like saying that your car won't run because the concrete is too high-speed for the car.

As long as the card is AT LEAST fast enough for the phone, it will operate properly. (I've only been doing this since 1978, so I think I have some small idea of how it works.) If Samsung has designed a phone that won't work with a card that's too fast, they should be run out of the universe on a rail, after being tarred and burned in a star. If they made class 250 SD cards (the class is the access speed), the card should still work just fine with the oldest phone made.

This is just "bull**** excuse of the day" and it seems that the worse they make the products, the more of it they come up with. Where's a good class action suit when you need one?

Well, i borrowed a 32 gb class 4 micro sd from a friend. I stuffed it with whatever i found, movie, music, e-book... I even installed and played "Bard's Tale" game, which you can choose sd card for installation location. 30 gb is full now. As bullsheit as it seems, card did not unmount, not even once. My previous card, 32 gb class 10 sandisk extreme, would unmount a dozen of times till now. Apart from slower writing speed, i did not notice any adverse effect of class 4 card. Hope my problem is resolved.
Allow me to add that, this is a major shame on Samsung. As if this is not enough, they don't seem to have any clue, nor they try to solve it. Why? Cause they keep making new phones and don't bother with what is already selling in the market.

5 days now and still no unmounting. I did LOTS of transfer to/from this card. I even installed several .apk files located in it. I am 90% positive that this issue is related to card speed. I did not try class 6, but class 4 is working just fine. I can still watch HD movies without delay/freezing.

Last edited:

Sapiee Sa

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I have same problem.. mine Samsung Galaxy Note 8 & my daughter Samsung Note 3.. Just bought last 2 week & some of pictures can view but cannot do anything (share or edit) & some of it appear corrupted file. Very sad...

mseepman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issues on my S4 from Bell in Canada. I went into the Bell store and they said they never heard of the problem. I have destroyed 3 cards already, one Sandisk, one PNY and one ADATA. 32G, 8G and 16G respectively. Once my phone says unexpected unmounting, then the card is kaput. I can't even format with Win XP...and other devices say "damaged, unable to format"

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I wasn't talking about Windows, or even PC/MS-DOS. A couple of the guys responsible for one of the mainframe systems weren't working for the Big Company when they wrote it. (Of course software gets stolen. Remember Apple suing Microsoft over Windows - that Apple stole from PARC?)

I don't have the problem - I don't have an S4. But I do know San Disk. If someone who has had the problem, and still has the bad San Disk card would write to San Disk, I'm sure they'd be very glad to see if they could a) figure out what went wrong with the card and b) figure out how to prevent it from happening. They're one company that's definitely in the "good guys" column.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stlouis92

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I wasn't talking about Windows, or even PC/MS-DOS. A couple of the guys responsible for one of the mainframe systems weren't working for the Big Company when they wrote it. (Of course software gets stolen. Remember Apple suing Microsoft over Windows - that Apple stole from PARC?)

MS DOS, almost 100% copied on Digital Research's CP/M, and initially named Quick & Dirty OS...

rkohlin

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Odd question but has anyone, using a Samsung branded card, encountered this issue yet?

Yes!! I have a small (8gb) Samsung micro SD card that I've had NO issues with for the past 2.5 years, using in my htc EVO.
I "upgraded" to this pos Samsung Galaxy S IV, & now in just over 5 weeks, I got this message about the SD card being damaged. Thank heavens I'm techie enough to know better than to take Samsung's suggestion message of "Try reformatting" !! How awful! How many people do you suppose did this without realizing they are losing any chance of retrieving their data?!?

Going to try some of the suggestions here, but, boy, I sure won't have the camera save pics to my card as a default with this phone! (Nothing but issues with this thing! I read in another forum that there are mfging quality issues cuz SG4 got so popular so fast. I might try getting a new phone. The internet access is actually slower (with 2 dual processors!) than it was on my old EVO!! Crazy!

Stlouis92

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
There was one guy here who told us he inserted a piece of thick paper below the SD card and that worked. His wording was not rally clear. So, I tried, but with the paper ABOVE the SD card, since it was making more sense to me and it did not work. Never tried the other way around... Please tell us if it keeps working in several weeks, just to be sure !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez