1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I add words to the dictionary on my Galaxy s4?

I got the Galaxy s4 yesterday. I'm going crazy just trying to add word to the dictionary. I can't even get it to spell my own name. It does not have the "personal dictionary" option under "language and input" that I am used to. I took it to Best Buy and three separate techs there played with it and they could not figure it out either.

How do I add words?

Default Re: How do I add words to the dictionary on my Galaxy s4?

The S4's default keyboard is terrible. Search for the new Google Android keyboard online, and download it on your s4, then make sure you choose that in your settings. It will let you save words to your dictionary then. I'm just having a problem figuring out how to delete your dictionary, so be careful what you save.

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

This was pissing me off, too. The default keyboard has no user dictionary and it sucks anyway. Go into settings, language and input, keyboard. Default is set to Samsung keyboard out of the box. Change it to Swype instead. Now you have access to the user dictionary. I thought the "Samsung keyboard" was Swype, but it's not.

The only problem with using the Swype keyboard is then the voice is not the Google voice that allows you to talk and it keeps typing as you talk. It using the crappy voice that you talk and it types and then you fix it and then hit it again and record again... a totally pain! Isn't there a way to have BOTH!

Thanks for the Swype info. Now the dictionary works.

hi. You can delete a learned word by typing it eh in a text. The word will come up in a list, long press down on that word. a prompt will come up asking if you want to delete that word. rest is history.

Under "Languages and Input" on my S4 there is a setting for "Personal dictionary" (the second entry on that page and right above the "Keyboards and input methods" area that allows you to add words to your own personal dictionary which then are usable by the standard Samsung Keyboard, which with its number field above the keys is a great keyboard for me as a lot of my passwords incorporate numbers and letters.

edit: hmm that worked twice then stopped working for my daughter's name. Oh well maybe in some future release.
    Last edited by d_m_b; 07-18-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Totally agree with Renee (6/4/13 post), anybody found a fix ? Google voice is excellent and recognized my voice right out of the box. The default swype voice is for the birds. Certainly can change it for one occurrence, but then it automatically defaults back to the unsatisfactory swype voice. Also in the personal dictionary setting in swype, I'm hesitant to set to automatic and therefore selected "ask before adding". It never asks me to add ? Thanks for your comments.

Hi Everyone.. I dont know if my findings will help anyone... but I discovered that I was able to add my own personal words to my phone.. Both capable with the Swype method and regular typing... from the messaging go to settings and you will See the text template. . With things like will call you back' in a meeting and what not.. I deleted them all and put my own words in... tested it out with the word sh*t something that is not in the predictable words and sure nuff it was there. . I am jamaican so there are a lot of words I use that are not in the phone no matter how many times I type it they are never saved.... so I hope this helps someone like it did me.. took me 3 months since getting the phone but I got it.. sorry for the run on sentences and unstructured sentences but you guys get the point

I didn't realize I didn't have the swype keyboard! I thought the keyboard was just different from my S2, which it was but I didn't realize that there are different keyboards available.

Wink Re: How do I add words to the dictionary on my Galaxy s4?

If you type a word in messaging and then you hold your finger on it in the words list right under the text box, it will ask you if you want to add the word to your dictionary. Just click that and it should add the word.

Quote Originally Posted by jace5150 View Post
    I got the Galaxy s4 yesterday. I'm going crazy just trying to add word to the dictionary. I can't even get it to spell my own name. It does not have the "personal dictionary" option under "language and input" that I am used to. I took it to Best Buy and three separate techs there played with it and they could not figure it out either.

How do I add words?
    I DID IT. OK. You type in a word. For me I do the XD face a lot so I typed in up up arrow to capitalize it and do it all manually for XD then it tried to save it as X but I clicked the word XD. Then I typed XD again and on the left I saw the word I had previously done so if I click on the option XD even though I already typed it down it works. I tried this method with multiple words and it works

I refused to believe there wasn't a fix for this and guess what I found one! When you go to your Samsung key board settings click predictive text, it will open another menu which has the option to learn from messaging, etc. This was important to me since I prefer the floating keyboard the Samsung keyboard offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha 2323 View Post
    I refused to believe there wasn't a fix for this and guess what I found one! When you go to your Samsung key board settings click predictive text, it will open another menu which has the option to learn from messaging, etc. This was important to me since I prefer the floating keyboard the Samsung keyboard offers.
    Well never mind it worked for a while but it's not recognizing my other words. I call my boyfriend babe a lot and so I wanted to add it to the dictionary but no go now

I have been able to add words to my dictionary while using the default samsung keyboard. From Settings, go into language and input, choose personal dictionary and add the word you want. I have added my childrens names, 4 letter words, and some others and I can swype them all without the phone changing my words.

Call me crazy but there isn't a personal dictionary option under language and input on my Galaxy S4. That's the 1st place I checked when I tried adding words. And after reading this forum I looked again. That just doesn't make any since I know. I'm from the south & I say y'all. I'd like to be able to text it as well

I have added words to my personal dictionary yet this dinosaur of a phone won't recognize the words and always auto corrects them to something else. Texting on this phone is an effing nightmare. I absolutely hate this phone.

Just got this phone yesterday.. and ive think ive found a way..
    put whatever words you want to add in a text message using non predictive, send the message then go to settings, predictive text then learn from messaging.
    It has worked so far for me