1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dictation software

I am an old codger doing a philosophy masters with the OU. I have mangled hands and use Dragon 11.5 dictation software. 1 Could I use it on a android tablet? 2 I note the implication that android has a form of dictation software built in to a new tablet. 3 If I used it could it be saved in rtf so I could transfer it to from my windows 7 hp pavilion g laptop? 4 Is there a usb port so I could plug in a thumb drive to transfer/ save stuff to an external hard drive, or to load Dragon 11.5 software, or work from a thumb drive? 5 Could I send what I have dictated to a printer. 6 What would be best for just the functions I have sketched above? I dont play games/ watch tv or any of that sort of rubbish. Its just a means of getting essays out online or printed off that doesnt weigh a lot as I presently lug a laptop to our daughter in Australia and a tablet ought to be lighter. WF

Default Re: Dictation software

Quote Originally Posted by William Farman View Post
    I am an old codger doing a philosophy masters with the OU. I have mangled hands and use Dragon 11.5 dictation software. 1 Could I use it on a android tablet? 2 I note the implication that android has a form of dictation software built in to a new tablet. 3 If I used it could it be saved in rtf so I could transfer it to from my windows 7 hp pavilion g laptop? 4 Is there a usb port so I could plug in a thumb drive to transfer/ save stuff to an external hard drive, or to load Dragon 11.5 software, or work from a thumb drive? 5 Could I send what I have dictated to a printer. 6 What would be best for just the functions I have sketched above? I dont play games/ watch tv or any of that sort of rubbish. Its just a means of getting essays out online or printed off that doesnt weigh a lot as I presently lug a laptop to our daughter in Australia and a tablet ought to be lighter. WF
    1. Dragon is currently not available as an Android app. Remember that Android is a different operating system from Windows, so you won't be able to run your Windows programs directly.

2. Android's speech-to-text software is pretty good, but I haven't tried dictating long passages. You should test it out yourself--go to any store with an Android device (a mobile phone store will probably be best) and ask one of the employees to show you how to dicdtate.

3. I'm not sure about saving as an RTF file, but if you're going to use Google, you might as well take advantage of Google Drive (their cloud-based office suite). You can easily dictate a document and save it to the cloud. You could then access it easily from your desktop, and download it there if you need to.

4. Only certain Android tablets have USB ports like the ones from Acer and Toshiba. Many Android tablets do have microSD card slots, though, so you could transfer files that way. There are a number of ways to transfer files, though--you can do it wirelessly using a free app called Airdroid, or you could do everything via the cloud.

I'll see if I can suggest a device a little later. Hope this helps!

The two major tablet brands that have full sized USB ports are Acer and Toshiba. Acer's 10" tablets include the A200/210, A500/510, and A700, and their 7" tablets are the A100 and A110. The 10" tablets are pretty good (I used to have an A500 before trading up to the Asus Transformer TF300), but the tradeoff of having a full sized USB port is that the device itself has to be somewhat thicker and heavier. Don't bother with the 7" tablets they make--they have poor screens and terrible battery life. The Toshiba tablet that has a full sized USB port is the Thrive, which has been discontinued, but can still be found on various sites, usually as refurbished units. The Thrive got decent reviews when it came out, but it's even bulkier than the Acer tablets.

Other tablets do have USB capabilities, but require special adapter cables, so if you want something simple, you might want to stick with a tablet that has a full-sized USB port. My Asus Transformer TF300 doesn't have a USB port, but it does have a nifty keyboard dock that essentially turns it into a highly portable mini-laptop, and the dock itself has a full-sized USB port (as well as a full-sized SD card reader). You can find a lot of deals on the TF300 on the web, because I think retailers have been clearing them out for the newer Asus tablets that are coming out.

Here's a deal for a refurbished Acer A200. Free shipping!