Error: Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card

Theking1c3

May 13, 2013
Visit site
i have a samsung galaxy mini and it keep saying Error: Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card when im trying to download a app
the thing is... i delete everything off my phone... wich made a total of 30 Mb and im trying to download an app of 2 Mb

can anyone help me with that?

Ohyehah

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Have the same problem. I'm positive it hasn't got anything to do with memory, and judging by the fact that we both have Samsung mobiles and most likely got these problems around the same time, I'd say Samsung's dropped the ball.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You can't install the app onto the sd card from Google Play. I suggest going into Menu > System Settings > Applications > Downloaded (sort by file size) and clear the caches for the top apps using the most storage. This should fix your problem.

Welcome the Android Cetnral, TheKing1c3 & Ohyehah.

Rachel Gill

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
i get the same msg on my HTC desire x, so its not samsung only :p - if you go to settings-> storage -> unmount SD card
then install the app
then mount SD card again.

it works :)

it is a pain that you may potentially have to do this every time the error msg pops up, but its better that it not working at all... right?

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I think this was an issue linked to the kernel at one point on epic 4g touch issues on samsung. Only way I bypassed it was by installing a custom kernel or simply unmounting sdcard before installing apps. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Amr99king

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
hey,i am Amr khaled 11 years and i am a programmer,if you have this error it means that you uninstalled a lot of apps,so go to google play and click my apps and then bring all,and delete all the uninstalled apps,i hope that helped

meow0526

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
i get the same msg on my HTC desire x, so its not samsung only :p - if you go to settings-> storage -> unmount SD card
then install the app
then mount SD card again.

it works :)

it is a pain that you may potentially have to do this every time the error msg pops up, but its better that it not working at all... right?

---- thank you so much. this is very helpful. it worked for me. now i can enjoy playing Robinson . :D

bridget917

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for the suggestion on unmounting the SD card...I spent hours trying to download an app with no success and this fixed my problem!:D

Shirley Thomas

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
hi there i have a samsung S3 if anyone can help me i tryed to install an app from the play store and its always telling me Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card :-\

Chawoobie

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I recently began experiencing the same problem with my Galaxy SIII after upgrading to Android 4.3. Unmounting the SD card, installing the app, then remounting the SD card works, but is not a "solution" I was happy with. I finally arrived at a solution that may work for other phones, as well.

First, I created a new folder on my laptop, then copied all of the folders and files from my SD card to that new folder. I then unconnected the phone from laptop and reformatted the SD card (yes, it will delete all files and folders on the card, but that is the idea). After reformatting, I copied all the files and folders back to the phone from the laptop. Went to Play.Google and tried installing several apps that had previously been giving me the error message and - NO MORE ERROR MESSAGE!!

Apparently the SD card needs to be formatted with Android 4.3 OS to work as it should - older OS leads to an incompatibility issue.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the SD card needs to be formatted with Android 4.3 OS to work as it should - older OS leads to an incompatibility issue.
Then it's a bug in the update, not in 4.3, because my Note 3 (running 4.3 originally) is using the same card I've been using since Froyo days - and it was formatted in a Froyo phone.

Olivia Radu

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I have tried formatting the card, I have tried clearing the cache, I have tried deleting some apps to make more space? now I came to realize it is not the a matter of space.. but I cannot figure out what it is? and it is now very frustrating. I have a Samsung Galaxy Young Duos GT 6312. So far nothing worked.. still cannot install any app. Please help.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have tried formatting the card, I have tried clearing the cache, I have tried deleting some apps to make more space? now I came to realize it is not the a matter of space.. but I cannot figure out what it is? and it is now very frustrating. I have a Samsung Galaxy Young Duos GT 6312. So far nothing worked.. still cannot install any app. Please help.

What do you need to do, install apps? What are the error messages you get when you try?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Olivia Radu

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
"Insufficient storage available" is the error message I keep on getting.

I also did this thing… from a mac to the phone… apparently it was supposed to help me install apps on the external card. I was looking now how to undo that… but I can't remember what exactly I did.

Ufffff…

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21