Chrome long-press context menu stopped working - can't "open in new tab". Ideas to fix?

Basirk

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 running stock JB 4.2.2.
At some point (not sure when exactly) the long-press feature to bring up the context menu for links in Chrome stopped working.
When I long-press on a link, all that happens is I get a short vibrate, but no menu.
This means that I can no longer "Open in new tab" which is quite frustrating.
It's all working fine on my Nexus 7 :/

I'd be grateful for any advice on how to fix this! Thanks in advance.

Chris.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Chrome long-press context menu stopped working - can't "open in new tab". Ideas to fix?

I've never encountered this problem, but what I'd try first is to clear the cache. Go to Settings/Apps/All, select Chrome, and tap Clear Cache. If that doesn't work, you could also try Clear Data, but this means you'll lose any locally saved bookmarks.

pitufo_06

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Chrome long-press context menu stopped working - can't "open in new tab". Ideas to fix?

I confirm the issue, and clear the cash doesn't solve the issue.

Felderburg

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I had this issue. Going into Settings -> Applications -> Chrome and then pressing the "Force Stop" button worked for me. This has happened twice, and my solution has worked twice. It's not enough to make sure it's not running in the task manager, for some reason.

As far as the cause, it seemed to happen when I had many tabs open, and then a website used a lot of memory to load or something. I don't know if it's a Chrome issue or a device issue with memory / overtaxing, but that's when it seemed to happen to me.

Edit: it seems to actually happen when I try to copy the URL from an embedded YouTube video. That very consistently caused the long press menu to stop working.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power