Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59
Like Tree17Likes
  1. #26  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    17,101 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    I just heard about My Backup Pro. I'd actually used Carbon (now Helium) from the Clockwork Mod people but it wouldn't restore so I restored using the backup I made from my rooting toolkit. Lots of things were missing like images that had been downloaded and screenshots. I had to manually put all that back from the copy I had saved. I even had to reinstall apps manually if I'd purchased them by going to the Google Store and downloading them again, and none of the settings came with them.

    Have you ever restored from iTunes? Is My Backup Pro like that? You don't worry about anything. Everything is put back exactly like it had been. One step and done.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Just read the thread. Congrats on rooting. Now you will see more potential from your phone.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    gnr_2 
  2. #27  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    17,101 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    When I used MyBackup Pro for apps, it used to restore all data as well so I didn't have to sign in to them or anything. At one point, it stopped working like that but I don't remember what phone that was on.....lol I wanna try it out next time I flash a new ROM.

    Sent from my HOX+ loaded with Elegancia ROM v5.1.0
    Way to go with helping him out. Big thanks to you!

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    VDub2174 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Just read the thread. Congrats on rooting. Now you will see more potential from your phone.
    If I ever get to phase 2. LOL

    And VDub has been AWESOME! Here and on PM. That's how I found the correct info on XDA and YouTube.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Thanked by:
    VDub2174 likes this.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Way to go with helping him out. Big thanks to you!
    I get excited when I know how to do things and like helping others out on here

    Sent from my HOX+ loaded with Elegancia ROM v5.1.0
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    What ROM did you end up with?
    From About phone:
    Android version: 4.2.2
    Kernel version: 3.0.31-cyanogenmod-g64e9296pinky-ghost@cyanogenmod#1
    CyanogenMod version: 10.1-20130411-experimental-toroplus-m3
    Build number: cm_toroplus_userdebug 4.2.2 JDQ39

    VDub2174 likes this.
  6. #31  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    From About phone:
    Android version: 4.2.2
    Kernel version: 3.0.31-cyanogenmod-g64e9296pinky-ghost@cyanogenmod#1
    CyanogenMod version: 10.1-20130411-experimental-toroplus-m3
    Build number: cm_toroplus_userdebug 4.2.2 JDQ39

    Yay!!

    You're gonna be obsessed with flashing ROMs now

    Sent from my HOX+ loaded with Elegancia ROM v5.2.0
    Last edited by VDub2174; 06-06-2013 at 07:07 AM.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
    gnr_2 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Well, I know how to do it really well now because I've flashed this one no less than 8 times. I did a restore from recovery and it brought the system back to where it was before I flashed. So then I flashed it again and restored with only data selected but it wouldn't boot (restore options were system, data, boot), just stayed on the Google unlocked screen. So I restored boot, and it wouldn't go past the CyanogenMod boot screen so I'm back to my stock rom til I can figure it out.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
  8. #33  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    Well, I know how to do it really well now because I've flashed this one no less than 8 times. I did a restore from recovery and it brought the system back to where it was before I flashed. So then I flashed it again and restored with only data selected but it wouldn't boot (restore options were system, data, boot), just stayed on the Google unlocked screen. So I restored boot, and it wouldn't go past the CyanogenMod boot screen so I'm back to my stock rom til I can figure it out.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    I personally never restore anything through the recovery. I only restore data through an app like MyBackup Pro or ROM Toolbox Pro.

    Sent from my HOX+ loaded with Elegancia ROM v5.2.0
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    It's weird. Everything is back the way I had it so I'm going to do another My Backup backup and then reinstall the ROM and restore from there. Like I got a second chance.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
  10. #35  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    It's weird. Everything is back the way I had it so I'm going to do another My Backup backup and then reinstall the ROM and restore from there. Like I got a second chance.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Oh yeah, when you restore an entire backup from recovery you'll get everything back to the way it was before you flashed anything. It's a magical thing
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    Oh yeah, when you restore an entire backup from recovery you'll get everything back to the way it was before you flashed anything. It's a magical thing
    After the trouble with booting, it made me feel go to know I could just go back and figure it out later. While not fun, it's good to get this level of comfort at the beginning, so it doesn't come as a surprise later after you are used to smooth sailing. Like getting lost in a city you don't know. You figure it out, and then, inevitably, when it happens again, you're like, piece of cake!

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    VDub2174 likes this.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    After the trouble with booting, it made me feel go to know I could just go back and figure it out later. While not fun, it's good to get this level of comfort at the beginning, so it doesn't come as a surprise later after you are used to smooth sailing. Like getting lost in a city you don't know. You figure it out, and then, inevitably, when it happens again, you're like, piece of cake!

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    I remember the first time something went wrong for me, I freaked out for a little bit but then got myself together......lol
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
    gnr_2 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    So I'm back to Cm 10.1 but it has updates. Do I need to do all of them - 4? And do I have to wipe everything again to install them? I finally got everything set up again!

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
  14. #39  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    So I'm back to Cm 10.1 but it has updates. Do I need to do all of them - 4? And do I have to wipe everything again to install them? I finally got everything set up again!

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Normally, if you're updating the same ROM all you have to wipe is cache and dalvik but that depends on weather or not the dev says to wipe everything or not. Everything will stay as is on your phone that way. You should only have to update to the latest build (not go through all 4).

    You have a link to the ROM you're using?
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    Normally, if you're updating the same ROM all you have to wipe is cache and dalvik but that depends on weather or not the dev says to wipe everything or not. Everything will stay as is on your phone that way. You should only have to update to the latest build (not go through all 4).

    You have a link to the ROM you're using?
    It's the link you gave me. On the side menu one of the options leads to RC(?) updates - not the nightlies or the Experimental ones. However, they are showing in the settings CyanogenMod has installed on the phone so I don't think I have to go to the link.


    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus on CM 10.1
  16. #41  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    It's the link you gave me. On the side menu one of the options leads to RC(?) updates - not the nightlies or the Experimental ones. However, they are showing in the settings CyanogenMod has installed on the phone so I don't think I have to go to the link.


    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus on CM 10.1
    When it comes to updates you don't have to apply them all the time. If I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the RC builds are the "final" builds for that version. They may include tweaks, fixes, etc. I don't always update right away if everything is working fine for me
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    About to try some new ROMs finally. First up BAMF Paradigm, then Eurostank. Woohoo.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    VDub2174 likes this.
  18. #43  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    About to try some new ROMs finally. First up BAMF Paradigm, then Eurostank. Woohoo.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    I remember when I got my GNex, it came rooted and had BAMF loaded on there already. I liked it
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    I'm having problems with my system UI so figured it was a good time to factory reset and try a new ROM.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    VDub2174 likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    About to try some new ROMs finally. First up BAMF Paradigm, then Eurostank. Woohoo.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Well, BAMF is about to be outtahere. There don't seem to be options for the dock or app drawer and I can't change my keyboard back to Swift key because the notification isn't showing up. I'm also just getting one notification at a time.

    Question: was it normal for Titanium Backup to ask you to confirm setting permissions for EACH app as it restored them? After 3 I stopped it and restored from MyBackup because of course I'd done 15 different backups again.

    Off to try Xenon, Euroskank and ParanoidAndroid.

    PS can you use any gapps package or do you have to use the one that goes with the ROM? The one at Goo.im is kind of worthless since you just have to install most of the apps from the play store anyway.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Last edited by gnr_2; 06-25-2013 at 08:50 PM.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    Well, BAMF is about to be outtahere. There don't seem to be options for the dock or apo drawer and I can't change my keyboard back to Swift key because the notification isn't showing up. I'm also just getting one notification at a time.

    Question: was it normal for Titanium Backup to ask you to confirm setting permissions for EACH app as it restored them? After 3 I stopped it and restored from MyBackup because of course I'd done 15 different backups again.

    Off to try Xenon, Euroskank and ParanoidAndroid.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    I remember one of the ROMs I flashed to my GNex did some weird thing with the keyboards. I had to go through the actual keyboard app to set it as default.

    TB did do that to me which is why I downloaded ROM Toolbox Pro. I was tired of approving each app.

    I'm using ParanoidAndroid on my Note 2 now and really like it. The halo))) feature takes some getting used to (if you activate it) and the same goes with teh PIE feature.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    I probably would have been willing to look into that and use Apex but the bigger issue was no signal. It also had some weird indicator for the signal where it said "1x". What does that even mean?

    So after flashing Euroskank - not impressed, PA - liked but kept going and then XenonHD, I settled on Xenon. Absolutely *love* it, except can't figure out how to move the Halo thing somewhere not in the way. Set up the whole thing and BOOM - System UI goes out again. After a series of reflashing, rebooting, etc. I have restored back to yesterday. Will reflash Xenon later. It kept telling me there was an update but that the download file was invalid so not sure what that was about. I hadn't even reinstalled any of my other apps so it was something else. Sigh. Will play with it later. Again, glad I had all those problems before or I wouldn't have known to make the TWRP backup because it wasn't part of the instructions I pulled up this time, just you know, data backup stuff.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    VDub2174 likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    So back on XenonHD. Love it. This time after flashing, adding Gapps and restoring apps and data, I did a TWRP backup again BEFORE changing the settings. At least I wouldn't have to go back so far if I did something wrong again. The problem seems to have been the charging animation (or the incompatible Gapps package) . Really cool but not stable. I thought it was going to be the boot animation change, but that is working just fine. Did stick with my Apex Launcher, but liking all the other tweaks, especially having my clock centered in the status bar and my blue navigation buttons. Really need to figure out how to move the Halo though as it is *exactly* where I swipe my screen.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
  24. #49  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Yeah, that halo))) thing is always in the way but I learned to love it.....lol
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  25. #50  

    Default Re: ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    So back on XenonHD. Love it. This time after flashing, adding Gapps and restoring apps and data, I did a TWRP backup again BEFORE changing the settings. At least I wouldn't have to go back so far if I did something wrong again. The problem seems to have been the charging animation (or the incompatible Gapps package) . Really cool but not stable. I thought it was going to be the boot animation change, but that is working just fine. Did stick with my Apex Launcher, but liking all the other tweaks, especially having my clock centered in the status bar and my blue navigation buttons. Really need to figure out how to move the Halo though as it is *exactly* where I swipe my screen.

    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Still on the hunt for the perfect ROM?
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to Root now...questions about duration
    By bonanzabucks in forum Epic 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM
  2. New to rooting.. couple questions
    By Kekoh in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 11:16 AM
  3. New to rooting.. couple questions
    By Kekoh in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 01:20 AM
  4. best way to root + basic questions
    By leingod in forum Motorola Droid Rooting, ROMs and Hacks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 08:42 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Posting Permissions