ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I never used ROM Manager, I just installed everything manually.

TWRP is an amazing recovery!! I love how easy it is to use and find everything within the menus. I also like how I can name my backups so I know what they are.....LOL I believe CWM names the file as a date and time (I could be wrong on this. Haven't used it in forever.).

You might wanna head over to XDA for ROMs. They house many options for you :)

Here's the link for JBSourcery: [ROM] JBSourcery 5.3-Toroplus | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

Here's a link to the CyanogenMod ROMs for your phone (toroplus).

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I never used ROM Manager, I just installed everything manually.

TWRP is an amazing recovery!! I love how easy it is to use and find everything within the menus. I also like how I can name my backups so I know what they are.....LOL I believe CWM names the file as a date and time (I could be wrong on this. Haven't used it in forever.).

You might wanna head over to XDA for ROMs. They house many options for you :)
The sticky post in the Verizon GNex Rooting section here explains how to do it manually. I just can't get past the backup part. I guess I'll just do it on my computer to be safe.

I was quite upset after my last factory reset when all my text messages were wiped. I had even made a manual copy paste of my internal storage to my computer and still can't find where the old text messages would have been saved. Also all my contact options like individual ring tones and default numbers didn't come back. It took forever to set that stuff up. To have to do it each time you add a new ROM will be a pain.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The sticky post in the Verizon GNex Rooting section here explains how to do it manually. I just can't get past the backup part. I guess I'll just do it on my computer to be safe.

I was quite upset after my last factory reset when all my text messages were wiped. I had even made a manual copy paste of my internal storage to my computer and still can't find where the old text messages would have been saved. Also all my contact options like individual ring tones and default numbers didn't come back. It took forever to set that stuff up. To have to do it each time you add a new ROM will be a pain.

Use something like ROMToolbox Pro or Titanium Backup to backup up all your apps and data. I use MyBackup Pro to backup all my texts.

Sent from my HOX+ loaded with Elegancia ROM v5.1.0

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Use something like ROMToolbox Pro or Titanium Backup to backup up all your apps and data. I use MyBackup Pro to backup all my texts.

I just heard about My Backup Pro. I'd actually used Carbon (now Helium) from the Clockwork Mod people but it wouldn't restore so I restored using the backup I made from my rooting toolkit. Lots of things were missing like images that had been downloaded and screenshots. I had to manually put all that back from the copy I had saved. I even had to reinstall apps manually if I'd purchased them by going to the Google Store and downloading them again, and none of the settings came with them.

Have you ever restored from iTunes? Is My Backup Pro like that? You don't worry about anything. Everything is put back exactly like it had been. One step and done.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I just heard about My Backup Pro. I'd actually used Carbon (now Helium) from the Clockwork Mod people but it wouldn't restore so I restored using the backup I made from my rooting toolkit. Lots of things were missing like images that had been downloaded and screenshots. I had to manually put all that back from the copy I had saved. I even had to reinstall apps manually if I'd purchased them by going to the Google Store and downloading them again, and none of the settings came with them.

Have you ever restored from iTunes? Is My Backup Pro like that? You don't worry about anything. Everything is put back exactly like it had been. One step and done.

When I used MyBackup Pro for apps, it used to restore all data as well so I didn't have to sign in to them or anything. At one point, it stopped working like that but I don't remember what phone that was on.....lol I wanna try it out next time I flash a new ROM.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Just read the thread. Congrats on rooting. Now you will see more potential from your phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When I used MyBackup Pro for apps, it used to restore all data as well so I didn't have to sign in to them or anything. At one point, it stopped working like that but I don't remember what phone that was on.....lol I wanna try it out next time I flash a new ROM.

Way to go with helping him out. Big thanks to you!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Just read the thread. Congrats on rooting. Now you will see more potential from your phone.

If I ever get to phase 2. LOL

And VDub has been AWESOME! Here and on PM. That's how I found the correct info on XDA and YouTube.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
What ROM did you end up with?

From About phone:
Android version: 4.2.2
Kernel version: 3.0.31-cyanogenmod-g64e9296pinky-ghost@cyanogenmod#1
CyanogenMod version: 10.1-20130411-experimental-toroplus-m3
Build number: cm_toroplus_userdebug 4.2.2 JDQ39

:D

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
From About phone:
Android version: 4.2.2
Kernel version: 3.0.31-cyanogenmod-g64e9296pinky-ghost@cyanogenmod#1
CyanogenMod version: 10.1-20130411-experimental-toroplus-m3
Build number: cm_toroplus_userdebug 4.2.2 JDQ39

:D

Yay!!

You're gonna be obsessed with flashing ROMs now :p

Sent from my HOX+ loaded with Elegancia ROM v5.2.0

Last edited:

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I know how to do it really well now because I've flashed this one no less than 8 times. I did a restore from recovery and it brought the system back to where it was before I flashed. So then I flashed it again and restored with only data selected but it wouldn't boot (restore options were system, data, boot), just stayed on the Google unlocked screen. So I restored boot, and it wouldn't go past the CyanogenMod boot screen so I'm back to my stock rom til I can figure it out.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, I know how to do it really well now because I've flashed this one no less than 8 times. I did a restore from recovery and it brought the system back to where it was before I flashed. So then I flashed it again and restored with only data selected but it wouldn't boot (restore options were system, data, boot), just stayed on the Google unlocked screen. So I restored boot, and it wouldn't go past the CyanogenMod boot screen so I'm back to my stock rom til I can figure it out.

I personally never restore anything through the recovery. I only restore data through an app like MyBackup Pro or ROM Toolbox Pro.

Sent from my HOX+ loaded with Elegancia ROM v5.2.0

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
It's weird. Everything is back the way I had it so I'm going to do another My Backup backup and then reinstall the ROM and restore from there. Like I got a second chance. :)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
It's weird. Everything is back the way I had it so I'm going to do another My Backup backup and then reinstall the ROM and restore from there. Like I got a second chance. :)

Oh yeah, when you restore an entire backup from recovery you'll get everything back to the way it was before you flashed anything. It's a magical thing :)

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, when you restore an entire backup from recovery you'll get everything back to the way it was before you flashed anything. It's a magical thing :)

After the trouble with booting, it made me feel go to know I could just go back and figure it out later. While not fun, it's good to get this level of comfort at the beginning, so it doesn't come as a surprise later after you are used to smooth sailing. Like getting lost in a city you don't know. You figure it out, and then, inevitably, when it happens again, you're like, piece of cake!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
After the trouble with booting, it made me feel go to know I could just go back and figure it out later. While not fun, it's good to get this level of comfort at the beginning, so it doesn't come as a surprise later after you are used to smooth sailing. Like getting lost in a city you don't know. You figure it out, and then, inevitably, when it happens again, you're like, piece of cake!

I remember the first time something went wrong for me, I freaked out for a little bit but then got myself together......lol

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
So I'm back to Cm 10.1 but it has updates. Do I need to do all of them - 4? And do I have to wipe everything again to install them? I finally got everything set up again!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
So I'm back to Cm 10.1 but it has updates. Do I need to do all of them - 4? And do I have to wipe everything again to install them? I finally got everything set up again!

Normally, if you're updating the same ROM all you have to wipe is cache and dalvik but that depends on weather or not the dev says to wipe everything or not. Everything will stay as is on your phone that way. You should only have to update to the latest build (not go through all 4).

You have a link to the ROM you're using?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Normally, if you're updating the same ROM all you have to wipe is cache and dalvik but that depends on weather or not the dev says to wipe everything or not. Everything will stay as is on your phone that way. You should only have to update to the latest build (not go through all 4).

You have a link to the ROM you're using?
It's the link you gave me. On the side menu one of the options leads to RC(?) updates - not the nightlies or the Experimental ones. However, they are showing in the settings CyanogenMod has installed on the phone so I don't think I have to go to the link.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus on CM 10.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci