ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
It's the link you gave me. On the side menu one of the options leads to RC(?) updates - not the nightlies or the Experimental ones. However, they are showing in the settings CyanogenMod has installed on the phone so I don't think I have to go to the link.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus on CM 10.1

When it comes to updates you don't have to apply them all the time. If I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the RC builds are the "final" builds for that version. They may include tweaks, fixes, etc. I don't always update right away if everything is working fine for me :)

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
About to try some new ROMs finally. First up BAMF Paradigm, then Eurostank. Woohoo.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
About to try some new ROMs finally. First up BAMF Paradigm, then Eurostank. Woohoo.

I remember when I got my GNex, it came rooted and had BAMF loaded on there already. I liked it :)

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm having problems with my system UI so figured it was a good time to factory reset and try a new ROM.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Well, BAMF is about to be outtahere. There don't seem to be options for the dock or app drawer and I can't change my keyboard back to Swift key because the notification isn't showing up. I'm also just getting one notification at a time.

Question: was it normal for Titanium Backup to ask you to confirm setting permissions for EACH app as it restored them? After 3 I stopped it and restored from MyBackup because of course I'd done 15 different backups again.

Off to try Xenon, Euroskank and ParanoidAndroid.

PS can you use any gapps package or do you have to use the one that goes with the ROM? The one at Goo.im is kind of worthless since you just have to install most of the apps from the play store anyway.

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, BAMF is about to be outtahere. There don't seem to be options for the dock or apo drawer and I can't change my keyboard back to Swift key because the notification isn't showing up. I'm also just getting one notification at a time.

Question: was it normal for Titanium Backup to ask you to confirm setting permissions for EACH app as it restored them? After 3 I stopped it and restored from MyBackup because of course I'd done 15 different backups again.

Off to try Xenon, Euroskank and ParanoidAndroid.

I remember one of the ROMs I flashed to my GNex did some weird thing with the keyboards. I had to go through the actual keyboard app to set it as default.

TB did do that to me which is why I downloaded ROM Toolbox Pro. I was tired of approving each app.

I'm using ParanoidAndroid on my Note 2 now and really like it. The halo))) feature takes some getting used to (if you activate it) and the same goes with teh PIE feature.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I probably would have been willing to look into that and use Apex but the bigger issue was no signal. It also had some weird indicator for the signal where it said "1x". What does that even mean?

So after flashing Euroskank - not impressed, PA - liked but kept going and then XenonHD, I settled on Xenon. Absolutely *love* it, except can't figure out how to move the Halo thing somewhere not in the way. Set up the whole thing and BOOM - System UI goes out again. After a series of reflashing, rebooting, etc. I have restored back to yesterday. Will reflash Xenon later. It kept telling me there was an update but that the download file was invalid so not sure what that was about. I hadn't even reinstalled any of my other apps so it was something else. Sigh. Will play with it later. Again, glad I had all those problems before or I wouldn't have known to make the TWRP backup because it wasn't part of the instructions I pulled up this time, just you know, data backup stuff.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
So back on XenonHD. Love it. This time after flashing, adding Gapps and restoring apps and data, I did a TWRP backup again BEFORE changing the settings. At least I wouldn't have to go back so far if I did something wrong again. The problem seems to have been the charging animation (or the incompatible Gapps package) . Really cool but not stable. I thought it was going to be the boot animation change, but that is working just fine. Did stick with my Apex Launcher, but liking all the other tweaks, especially having my clock centered in the status bar and my blue navigation buttons. Really need to figure out how to move the Halo though as it is *exactly* where I swipe my screen.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
So back on XenonHD. Love it. This time after flashing, adding Gapps and restoring apps and data, I did a TWRP backup again BEFORE changing the settings. At least I wouldn't have to go back so far if I did something wrong again. The problem seems to have been the charging animation (or the incompatible Gapps package) . Really cool but not stable. I thought it was going to be the boot animation change, but that is working just fine. Did stick with my Apex Launcher, but liking all the other tweaks, especially having my clock centered in the status bar and my blue navigation buttons. Really need to figure out how to move the Halo though as it is *exactly* where I swipe my screen.

Still on the hunt for the perfect ROM?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Still on the hunt for the perfect ROM?

I think I'm good here for a while. I got the halo to move to what should be a good spot. I thought another spot was better till it got in the way of card dealing in Solitaire. LOL

I really need a "site map" for the settings though. Way too many! At least it has this split screen settings menu even if my phone is too small for it. Works in landscape though, sort of.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I think I'm good here for a while. I got the halo to move to what should be a good spot. I thought another spot was better till it got in the way of card dealing in Solitaire. LOL

I really need a "site map" for the settings though. Way too many! At least it has this split screen settings menu even if my phone is too small for it. Works in landscape though, sort of.

I wish there was a map for setting too. I get so confused with what's out there and half the time I don't learn that there's something in my setting until after months of using it.....lol

Sent from my Cleared Galaxy Note 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The halo is officially turned off. I had it moved and after I rebooted my phone, it returned to its original position. What's that about? So I finally got it to delete. It's too bad cause I like the concept, just not the bubble.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The halo is officially turned off. I had it moved and after I rebooted my phone, it returned to its original position. What's that about? So I finally got it to delete. It's too bad cause I like the concept, just not the bubble.

Agreed.

I noticed that too and didn't like it. But at least you like everything else in the ROM :)

Sent from my Cleared Galaxy Note 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Help!! I flashed a new ROM (Slimkat for 4.4.2) cause I needed to factory reset and I don't have root access anymore. I couldn't find a superuser app on my phone so I downloaded one but root checker says I still don't have root access. What do I do now?? I can't remember back that far in the original process and if I can't change the font back to normal in build.prop I'll have to restore the system to pre-changes. Help!!

Sent from my "no longer 120? or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Crisis over. Flashed new version of SuperSU and it worked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I didn't see this. No interwebs at home and the jobs have been taking up my time :(

Sent from my SlimKat Note 3

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
That's okay. For some reason the font on this ROM was super tiny so I really needed to change it. It literally gave me a migraine from the eye strain. Of course figuring out how to fix it didn't help. Turns out it was all in the FAQs but since I didn't know the term I was looking for (dpi) I missed it. Love the ROM though. Deciding if I'm going to switch my N7 to it as well. The ROM I have is pretty limited on features but it was the only one for the new N7 at the time.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
That's okay. For some reason the font on this ROM was super tiny so I really needed to change it. It literally gave me a migraine from the eye strain. Of course figuring out how to fix it didn't help. Turns out it was all in the FAQs but since I didn't know the term I was looking for (dpi) I missed it. Love the ROM though. Deciding if I'm going to switch my N7 to it as well. The ROM I have is pretty limited on features but it was the only one for the new N7 at the time.

DPI is a magical thing! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci