ABOUT TO ROOT - FINAL QUESTIONS related to toolkit instructions

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Okay folks. I'm taking the plunge. I really need to do a factory reset so I figured I might as well go whole hog. I have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.1. I've downloaded the toolkit for Galaxy Nexus from XDA and watched a YouTube video that mostly followed along with the XDA toolkit. However, the video missed a bunch of steps so here I am hoping you will fill in the gaps.

1) My version and build, version 4.2.1 build JOP40D match the GSM US model with wallet, not the CDMA/LTE Sprint model. Which do I choose? This seems like it's the most important thing NOT to mess up.

2) To do the backup, it says "Run in Android"? What does that mean? That my phone needs to be hooked up to the computer?

3) Flash Recovery. Okay, I'm not really sure what this is. I always assumed it was something that allowed you to put your phone back to normal but it didn't seem that way on the video. He got all excited about using this to clear his cache. He also did the Flash Recovery step AFTER doing the 1-click step which says that it does the Flash Recovery as part of the process. Is this necessary or is just if you want to switch recoveries?

And last, but certainly not least,
4) Once I'm rooted, then what? I would like to upgrade to 4.2.2 since Sprint hasn't pushed it and update my radio. How do I do these?

Thanks for any and all help.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
1) My version and build, version 4.2.1 build JOP40D match the GSM US model with wallet, not the CDMA/LTE Sprint model. Which do I choose? This seems like it's the most important thing NOT to mess up.
I know when rooting, you want to stick to the type of phone your have. If you have the Sprint GNex, then you wanna stick with the CDMA/LTE process. Using the GSM version can cause some issues.

3) Flash Recovery. Okay, I'm not really sure what this is. I always assumed it was something that allowed you to put your phone back to normal but it didn't seem that way on the video. He got all excited about using this to clear his cache. He also did the Flash Recovery step AFTER doing the 1-click step which says that it does the Flash Recovery as part of the process. Is this necessary or is just if you want to switch recoveries?
A custom recovery would be something like ClockworkMod (CWM) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP). The program you're using should prompt you to select the recovery from your PC and it'll push it to your phone. Recovery allows you to flash ROMs and such.

And last, but certainly not least,
4) Once I'm rooted, then what? I would like to upgrade to 4.2.2 since Sprint hasn't pushed it and update my radio. How do I do these?
Once rooted it's time for you to go ROM shopping!! Do your research on the different ROMs since some may have some knows issues and others don't. See what people have to say in the comments of the ROM just to get a feel. If all else fails, start flashing ROMs until you find the one you like best.....lol

Thanks for any and all help.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
What program are you using to root your GNex?

AIO = All In One

Some toolkits offer all in one features so that you don't have to go to a thousand different places when rooting :)

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
It's the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit on XDA. Didn't notice that it had another name. It has a 1-click option that seems to do everything so that part didn't worry me so much. Just the steps leading up to it... Wish me luck!

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
QBKing is insanely helpful when rooting devices. I watched his vids for a few of my devices and things went well for me :)

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
QBKing is insanely helpful when rooting devices. I watched his vids for a few of my devices and things went well for me :)

How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean - YouTube
Good to know. That's the one I watched and it cleared up a lot! He has my same phone and used the Sprint option so I guess I'll just ignore the build information. I downloaded the video to my computer so I can watch it while rooting. About to do my umpeenth backup, but the final one before clicking #8. With any luck I'll be rooted before tomorrow comes.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Report back with your experience :)
Well, I got stuck the first time it fastbooted because Windows 7 wouldn't recognize the phone even though it did in regular mode. Spent most of the night trying to fix that. I'm not 100% sure I'm rooted. Everything kept saying error and failed but then it said, "Congratulations. You've hacked your phone" and went back to the main menu. I do know it wiped everything. Now I need to get the updated ROM and a the radios I guess before I can put everything back.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, I got stuck the first time it fastbooted because Windows 7 wouldn't recognize the phone even though it did in regular mode. Spent most of the night trying to fix that. I'm not 100% sure I'm rooted. Everything kept saying error and failed but then it said, "Congratulations. You've hacked your phone" and went back to the main menu. I do know it wiped everything. Now I need to get the updated ROM and a the radios I guess before I can put everything back.

Congrats!!

Did you get Super User pushed to your phone? To be sure, you can download Root Checker and it'll let you know if you have root access or not.

I remember I got those errors when I rooted one of my devices but all was well :)

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Congrats!!

Did you get Super User pushed to your phone? To be sure, you can download Root Checker and it'll let you know if you have root access or not.

I remember I got those errors when I rooted one of my devices but all was well :)

Hmm... no Superuser app like in the video. I selected SuperSU so don't know if that makes a difference. Am downloading Root Checker right now. Also the only apps I'm reinstalling at the moment are Outlook, Apex Launcher, Light Flow and Helium (formerly Carbon) - since I need that to reinstall the first three. I'll deal with anything else this weekend.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... no Superuser app like in the video. I selected SuperSU so don't know if that makes a difference. Am downloading Root Checker right now. Also the only apps I'm reinstalling at the moment are Outlook, Apex Launcher, Light Flow and Helium (formerly Carbon) - since I need that to reinstall the first three. I'll deal with anything else this weekend.

Ugh. It doesn't seem to have worked. Back to the drawing board...Might try a different toolkit. I have Wugface's installed as well. Here we go again.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Ugh. It doesn't seem to have worked. Back to the drawing board...Might try a different toolkit. I have Wugface's installed as well. Here we go again.

Do you know if you at least got the custom recovery to install?

If I remember correctly, there was a time when I didn't get SU pushed to my phone but was able to flash it manually through recovery and all was well.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I DID IT!!!

I was doing everything right too. The problem was neither the toolkit, or the phone (though I did need to install different drivers thanks to Windows 7). The problem was Easy Tether. The program on my computer was blocking access to my phone. I had been getting all these messages every time the phone booted back and forth between Android and Fast boot mode. I assumed they were from Windows because the phone essentially was being connected and disconnected. Turns out they were all from EasyTether. Once I realized that, at 1 in the morning :banghead:, I exited the program (it starts automatically when the phone is attached), tried again and voila, rooted! Still don't have a ROM picked for 4.2.2 and new radios, but I'm rooted! Woo.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
It's frustrating because it really wasn't that hard since I'd followed the advice you'd given me. The heart stopping part was having every thing erased. Now I know at least.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
LOL.....to be honest, every time I root a device I have that heart stopping moment of nervousness. It took me after the 4th or 5th device to decide to root before I put anything on my phone/tablet. :)

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Now that I see how easy it was too restore from the backup, I'm not too anxious about it any more. Though I'm sure I will still do it 15 different ways just to be safe. LOL

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Now that I see how easy it was too restore from the backup, I'm not too anxious about it any more. Though I'm sure I will still do it 15 different ways just to be safe. LOL

I do a backup anytime I need to do something through recovery just to be safe.....lol

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
What ROM did you end up with?
Well, still figuring out the ROM thing. It's infinitely more confusing than just rooting. Like whether or not I can in fact back up to internal storage, do a factory reset to flash a ROM, and still have the internal storage there (no SD card for the GNex). The answers seem to be conflicting and counterintuitive.

I want to do either JB Sourcery or CM 10.1 but don't actually know where to find them. They seem to be the most used around Android Central on the Gnex.

I did install ROM Manager and it looks like I have TWRP installed but don't know what that does or what good wipe/cache is.

Rooting was definitely the easy part.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus