Going to Root GS3 & install CyanogenMod 10.1 -- noob

paradoxeternal

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, so my current GS3 apparently had water damage, and a new one is coming from the insurance tomorrow. I figured that since the warranty is up and the insurance won't replace it again, I may as well finally root and flash a custom rom. From my poking around the internet, I like CyanogenMod 10.1. I am on AT&T.

I've only attempted a root once before with this current phone, which I think worked, but I abandoned the project months ago and don't remember. In any case, besides that, I've never rooted or flashed a rom before.

After further poking around on the internet, these are the sources I'm planning on using to successfully root and rom:

Rooting: How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S3 ? XDA Developer TV ? xda-developers

And for the ROM, I'm going to follow this video: How to install CyanogenMod 10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on the Samsung Galaxy S3 / III - YouTube

I understand that after rooting, I have to create a backup (using that Titan Backup app in the video I think?" and i am going to use Goo Manager to download the ROM and gapps. I saw another video that had me move files from the computer to my phone, but they didn't do any backing up, and apparently that's necessary.

Is that everything I need to know? Am I missing anything? What does it mean to "trip a flash counter"? And what is a toolkit, and do I need it?

Thanks for the help.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, so my current GS3 apparently had water damage, and a new one is coming from the insurance tomorrow. I figured that since the warranty is up and the insurance won't replace it again, I may as well finally root and flash a custom rom. From my poking around the internet, I like CyanogenMod 10.1. I am on AT&T.

I've only attempted a root once before with this current phone, which I think worked, but I abandoned the project months ago and don't remember. In any case, besides that, I've never rooted or flashed a rom before.

After further poking around on the internet, these are the sources I'm planning on using to successfully root and rom:

Rooting: How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S3 ? XDA Developer TV ? xda-developers

And for the ROM, I'm going to follow this video: How to install CyanogenMod 10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on the Samsung Galaxy S3 / III - YouTube

I understand that after rooting, I have to create a backup (using that Titan Backup app in the video I think?" and i am going to use Goo Manager to download the ROM and gapps. I saw another video that had me move files from the computer to my phone, but they didn't do any backing up, and apparently that's necessary.

Is that everything I need to know? Am I missing anything? What does it mean to "trip a flash counter"? And what is a toolkit, and do I need it?

Thanks for the help.

Okay so I just rooted and I'm reading your thread to see what I need to do next. Therefore the only thing I can answer is this. You need to do a backup BEFORE you root because your phone will be factory reset. I used four methods to do this because I was super paranoid about this.
1) connected phone to computer, first as ptp and copied the two photo folders onto my hard drive, then switched to mtp and copied the entire phone, except for music files.
2) Downloaded Helium, formerly Carbon. Because people are saying that they had problems with one method or another, I did two. I backed up all the apps (full apps) to my internal storage using the mobile program, then transferred it all to my computer hard drive. I also did a PC backup from their website which put a zip file on my hard drive. That didn't work for restoring, or I tried restoring it incorrectly, which isn't unlikely.
3) I used the backup option in the toolkit I was using (more on that in a minute). Turns out that was the best way and that's what I restored from. Everything is just like before I rooted for the most part.

Toolkit: an all in one method of rooting. You download it, answer questions and if does all the work for you based on the answers you provide. It takes you step by step through the process. You should be able to find one on xda for your phone in the same place you found that other thread.

Know nothing about flashing roms yet, but if you do it immediately after rooting, the toolkit helps you with that too. You also can use the toolkit to restore the phone. Super easy. Like iTunes backup and restore.

After rooting, you have even more options for backing up that you can use the toolkit for too so it isn't a one time use program. You will use it over and over.

Hope that helped a little. Good luck.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol