Samsung S3 Battery Problem

satasata

May 25, 2013
Visit site
So recently my months old Galaxy S3 is charging extremely slow, say 8 hours from 10+% to 50+% from AC supply using stock charger and battery. I suspected that it is due to faulty charging cable as S3 charger has the USB on top of the charger which physically conflict with AC power points in my house which has little space on top of it to fit the USB.
However, I downloaded "CurrentWidget" which shows that the current receiving from the charger is 999mA which is the same as the specification of 1A which means that my charging cable is probably fine.
The other thing I noticed is that it shows the phone voltage as 3.7+V to 3.8+V most of the time around 30% to 50% battery. Isn't the stock battery 3.7V at full charge or is it 4.2V? Does this mean that the battery is actually fully charged but the phone think that it is only at 50%?
Even worse, it drains battery when I'm just browsing the web even though it is charging. I tried to switch off my phone while charging thinking that some apps are draining the battery strongly but still it is slow.
I have made sure that there are no background apps running with advance task manager and battery doctor apps and it only show "Screen" using 55% of battery in the settings.
A few days and weeks before this problem, my phone hangs frequently and sometimes I had to remove the battery from the back in order to restart the phone. Does this means that the battery or phone is damaged? Or did my phone miscalibrated the battery percentage to the voltage as it thinks the battery is low at a certain voltage because I removed the battery although the battery is still full?
Any help is appreciated thank you.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Are you charging through the usb port or wall charger? The usb port charges slower than the wall and you would see a considerable slow charging rate if you are using the phone while plugged into usb.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So recently my months old Galaxy S3 is charging extremely slow, say 8 hours from 10+% to 50+% from AC supply using stock charger and battery. I suspected that it is due to faulty charging cable as S3 charger has the USB on top of the charger which physically conflict with AC power points in my house which has little space on top of it to fit the USB.
However, I downloaded "CurrentWidget" which shows that the current receiving from the charger is 999mA which is the same as the specification of 1A which means that my charging cable is probably fine.
The other thing I noticed is that it shows the phone voltage as 3.7+V to 3.8+V most of the time around 30% to 50% battery. Isn't the stock battery 3.7V at full charge or is it 4.2V? Does this mean that the battery is actually fully charged but the phone think that it is only at 50%?
Even worse, it drains battery when I'm just browsing the web even though it is charging. I tried to switch off my phone while charging thinking that some apps are draining the battery strongly but still it is slow.
I have made sure that there are no background apps running with advance task manager and battery doctor apps and it only show "Screen" using 55% of battery in the settings.
A few days and weeks before this problem, my phone hangs frequently and sometimes I had to remove the battery from the back in order to restart the phone. Does this means that the battery or phone is damaged? Or did my phone miscalibrated the battery percentage to the voltage as it thinks the battery is low at a certain voltage because I removed the battery although the battery is still full?
Any help is appreciated thank you.

Magnus makes a good point. If you are charging for the wall, I would suspect a bad port in the phone, but I would try a different cable first. Then a different wall plug.

nickb13

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I have found a solution to this problem. It seems this is caused by the Samsung S3's USB CHARGER. Do NOT replace the charger for a new one, instead, BUY/GET another official Samsung mobile wall-plug charger, I found the Samsung S8000 Jet's charger matches the S3 and works PERFECTLY ,and charges the Samsung S3 to 100% in less then 2 hours.

Hopeless One

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
My solution was to remove the protective case. It seems lime it's done badly and sometimes won't charge good (whole night like 50% or so). Others claim that problem might occur when you're missing one or more pins in your USB cable, so check that too.
One more solution is to remove your battery wait for couple of minutes and then put it back on and try charging. Also you may try another cable it might help you to determine whether it's you charger or battery..

Good luck and hopefully these tips will help you solving your problem.

Posted via Android Central App

Meister tsk

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
well my case is different, I have been using the stock charger and as months went by it slowly lost its power. Now a whole night is not more than 30% of power, im not sure if its my version of android(4.2.2) as I read somewhere people where complaining that the system actually thinks the battery charges to 100% when its at around 50%. Anyone please suggest a possible solution...

Hopeless One

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Try another charger and make sure that no heavy apps are running in background. See if that makes a difference.

well my case is different, I have been using the stock charger and as months went by it slowly lost its power. Now a whole night is not more than 30% of power, im not sure if its my version of android(4.2.2) as I read somewhere people where complaining that the system actually thinks the battery charges to 100% when its at around 50%. Anyone please suggest a possible solution...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Faulty cables are usually the cause of slow charging, and even discharging while plugged in. It's also possible to have erratic touch screen response due to a bad cable if it gets bad enough.

Check out http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries for a good write-up that explains why you're seeing different voltage readings compared to what's on the battery pack itself. 4.2V is a normal full charge reading on a 3.7V cell. That site is full of other useful info too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar