Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone storage space is low!

This message keeps freezing my phones ability to send and receive texts. I've deleted threads,unused apps and pictures and files. This is frustrating me to no end! The internal storage is nearly full, but the Ram has tons of space. I have moved everything to SD that can be moved,cleared cache and have an app for doing this autimatically. I've read up a bit on rooting and don't believe that is for me as I'm an amatuer.
    How can I fix this and why do I have so much RAM,but no internal memory?

Default Re: Phone storage space is low!

Can you tell us what kind of phone you have, and give us a screenshot of your storage/memory stats?

Android memory and storage can be tricky to understand, and to make things more confusing, Jellybean is a little different from ICS. On Jellybean, there's RAM, which is used for active app processes and services--phones have anywhere from 256 MB to 2 GB of RAM, and the more you have, the faster your phone will multitask or switch between apps. Then there's Application Storage, which is a partition of Internal Storage that is used for app installation--I'm not sure, but I think this is also where the texting apps store threads. Application Storage ranges from a couple hundred MB to 3 GB, depending on the phone. The rest of Internal Storage is considered an SD card (even though it's not removable), with the directory /storage/sdcard0, and can be used primarily for storage of media (music, photos, videos). If you add your own SD card, that is called /storage/sdcard1, but just like sdcard0, it's primarily for media storage.

When you "move an app to SD," you're moving a big chunk of the program to sdcard0, but some of the app has to remain behind in Application Storage, so you can never completely clear it from that storage area. Unless you're rooted, you can't move apps to your external SD card (which makes sense, because if you remove that SD card, the apps will crash).

My suspicion is that your phone doesn't have much Application Storage, and so if you have a lot of apps installed and are pushing the limits of that storage space, you'll get a lot of Phone Storage Low alarms. To see how much Application Storage you're using, go to Settings/Apps and look for a bar that's probably at the bottom of the screen that shows how much of your Application Storage has been used. For example, my Razr Maxx shows 1.2 GB used and 1.8 GB free. If it was more like 2.8 GB used and 0.2 GB free, I'd be getting a lot of Phone Storage Low alarms, even though the Internal Storage or External SD space is wide open.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

LG Optimus 2, model AS680,Android 2.3.4,baseband version 6170,Kernel version 2.6.35.7,build GRj22, SW version AS680ZV4,SCR AS680ZV2 Revol.

SD card 1.85 GB with 1.59 GB available
    internal storage 213 MB with 21 MB free

I've downloaded 22 apps, had the phone since Oct.

Is it too small?

I haven't loaded anything new, but get this message periodically and can't text.

213 MB for internal storage is pretty small, and 21 MB is not much free, so that's why you're getting the alarms. Go through all of your apps and uninstall any that you really don't need. If there's anything you haven't used in the past couple of weeks, just uninstall it. You can always reinstall it if you need it.

hi i have a lg optimus f3, Constantly my phone keeps saying low storage space. i would clear the cache. and it would constantly reappear. I dont even have alot of apps download on this phone i have only three apps on this and cant download anymore. this is a very good phone. my problem is just the storage issue. i recently changed my sd i had 4gb changed it to 32 gb thinking maybe it would help the issue but it didnt. Can someone help? what can i do?

Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, the number of apps you can install is limited by your internal storage--external microSD cards aren't useful for app installation, only for media storage (like music, videos, photos). Review this guide for more info: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings