What if I don't want to update?

Doctorold

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
So I generally do the manual updates that show up in my notification center or when I'm on Google Play (under my apps) but sometimes I don't want to update those apps due to a number of reasons (sometimes they trigger a bunch of unwanted adds and stuff). So how can I remove these apps from my manual update list without uninstalling or disabling those apps?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Open the Play Store App and go into the Settings. You can enable or disable auto update for all apps through settings. Also, if you do want a particular app to auto-update, but not all, then open go into the "my apps" setting and select the app you want to auto-update and enable/disable the setting from the setting tab.

Hopefully this helps...let us know if you have further questions.

Doctorold

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Open the Play Store App and go into the Settings. You can enable or disable auto update for all apps through settings. Also, if you do want a particular app to auto-update, but not all, then open go into the "my apps" setting and select the app you want to auto-update and enable/disable the setting from the setting tab.

Hopefully this helps...let us know if you have further questions.

You misunderstand. It's not about auto updating. Under "my apps" and the "installed" tab I have several apps that say there is an update available. For various reasons I may not want to update those apps. How do I remove them from this list.

robtncqe

May 31, 2013
Visit site
You can enable or disable auto update for all apps through settings.
5m.jpg

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking there isn't an easy way to do this, if at all. A while back, on an older phone, I think I saw it happen, but not any more. Back then, it seemed like if I just left the app unupdated, it would drop off the update list and go back to the general installed section. I think it took a month or two, if not more. I haven't seen that happen in a long time.

Doctorold

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Guess it's just an anal retentive thing. I did end up disabling a couple of apps and took a chance and update the others. So far the only thing I notice is my battery went down fast last night. See how it goes today.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You misunderstand. It's not about auto updating. Under "my apps" and the "installed" tab I have several apps that say there is an update available. For various reasons I may not want to update those apps. How do I remove them from this list.

Sorry about that. You can't remove the "update is available feature" in the Play Store. If you don't want to update certain apps just clear the notification from the status bar. It'll still say update available in the "my apps" tab of the Play Store. Remember, aside from updating Apps for bug fixes or new features, the developer might be closing security vulnerabilities which are worth the update.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Doctorold

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
The my apps tab is what I'm wanting to clear up. Updated a couple of things and annoying crap started happening. So I am leery of updates. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I have a couple apps like that myself where they changed things in a way I didn't like, so I refused to update. I do wish it was a Google rule that developers must put in the descriptions what types and how invasive the ads are that they use. Some are ok and I don't mind the idea, but some are way over bearing.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There's ways to backup apps and restore a particular app just in case an update breaks things or certain features are added. Here is one method, which allows backups with or without root access: Helium

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci