Time-shift of calendar events when changing timezones.

Phaang

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if Froyo addresses the issue of shifting the time of events in calendars when one changes time zones? Right now, on my DroidX, there is no way to distinguish what time zone an event would be in (say, airline departures/arrivals). If I am in Pacific time, and want to enter the arrival time for my flight to an Eastern time destination, I either have to mentally calculate the time difference and enter the arrival time in Pacific time (totally stupid implementation), or reset the phone to the eastern time zone then enter the time of the appointment (equally stupid implementation). Otherwise, when I land and the phone time-syncs to the local carrier, android shifts the appointment times to the current time zone. So if I made the arrival time for 4:03 pm while in the Pacific time zone, the calendar displays the new event time as 7:03 pm (three hour time-shift). This is a deal breaker for me. This device was supposed to become my PDA replacement, and calendar/appointments is critical. I almost missed a flight. If this isn't changed, this phone is going back to VZW and I am back to the Blackberry. yuck.

Or, can anyone recommend a calendar program that circumvents this?

Thanks

Last edited:

rweiss

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if Froyo addresses the issue of shifting the time of events in calendars when one changes time zones? Right now, on my DroidX, there is no way to distinguish what time zone an event would be in (say, airline departures/arrivals). If I am in Pacific time, and want to enter the arrival time for my flight to an Eastern time destination, I either have to mentally calculate the time difference and enter the arrival time in Pacific time (totally stupid implementation), or reset the phone to the eastern time zone then enter the time of the appointment (equally stupid implementation). Otherwise, when I land and the phone time-syncs to the local carrier, android shifts the appointment times to the current time zone. So if I made the arrival time for 4:03 pm while in the Pacific time zone, the calendar displays the new event time as 7:03 pm (three hour time-shift). This is a deal breaker for me. This device was supposed to become my PDA replacement, and calendar/appointments is critical. I almost missed a flight. If this isn't changed, this phone is going back to VZW and I am back to the Blackberry. yuck.

Or, can anyone recommend a calendar program that circumvents this?

Thanks

Just found this question as I was searching for the same answer. Since it doesn't have a response, I'll ask the question again. Is there anyway to deal with these time shifts when traveling across time zones (other than turning off the phone's ability to sync with local times?)
Thanks.

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I have come across several similar issues in several threads. Google calendar now seems to have added support for time zones for an event. So just bumping in case that feature addition has any effect on the mobile calendar, whether 2.1/2.2/2.3.

whipstitch

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm running CM7 (gingerbread) on the Droid Incredible and when I create a new appointment, on the "event details" screen, under the start and end time is a "timezone" setting.

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I can tell you is that when the wife and I went to Mexico her appointments in Google Calendar got shifted 1 hour and did not correct themselves when she came back to Eastern Time. She uses the standard calendar app on her EVO.

Doc

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670