Is it ok to partially charge my battery?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yep. There are some considerations if it's a brand new battery, that you may want to completely let it drain a couple of times before fully recharging it. This is known as "conditioning" and there is lots of info on it on the internet.

Personally, I don't bother, but supposedly it's good for it and will let your battery last longer.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I kept my HTC Inspire plugged in every chance I could. It had horrible battery life and left me little choice. Still, its battery held a charge for 2+ years right up until I got rid of it last month.

This phone has tremendous battery life so far (based solely on my usages habits). I am going a day and a half between charging (usually at around 10%). It is my understanding the number of charge cycles a battery has (usually in the thousands) is based on full drains/recharges not partials.

It seems most users move on to a new device long before a battery would give out.

From my LG Optimus G E970

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Yep. There are some considerations if it's a brand new battery, that you may want to completely let it drain a couple of times before fully recharging it. This is known as "conditioning" and there is lots of info on it on the internet.

Personally, I don't bother, but supposedly it's good for it and will let your battery last longer.
My understanding is that "conditioning" is more to calibrate the battery meter than to help the battery. Li-Ion batteries don't "like" being totally drained or overcharged. My guess is the phone manufacturers allow the batteries to be charged more than what is optimal and drain lower than what is optimal, but of the two Android phones I've had for ~2 years each I've fully charged them every night and they held up just fine.

So to answer the OP, it's not only OK, it's preferred to letting it drain all the way.

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
unlike previous battery technology like nicad/niMh, lithium battery doesn't have memory effect and doesn't need to be charged full all the time or drained to nil. doing full cycle is only needed to calibrate the battery. moreover, if you just do 50% charging it's like doubling the battery's life cycle right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol