Where did all my internal storage go?

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC Vivid which has a total of 16 GB internal space. Or at least it did. I had been running a JB custom ROM, but was bored today so I decided to flash a custom ICS one.

I backed up all my personal stuff to my PC, and wiped everything from recovery -- both caches, factory/data, system, and for good measure the internal sdcard (so there wouldn't be any potential conflict with the JB installation.

After I booted up, I checked the storage stats, and I now have around 6 GB total. Where's the rest, and what should I have done differently? It seems as if a partition isn't mounted or something. Is this space retrievable?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any files stored on the sd? I believe ICS and GB handle file systems differently and how each affect storage may be one of those.

I don't see any issues with how the ROM was installed.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there are files/folders there now, both system created ones and the ones I transferred back from my PC.

I don't know much about the Android file system, but you're right, GB and ICS are different (especially with how the external sdcard is accessed). That was why I wiped the sdcard, assuming it would reformat it. But now my phone storage is only 2GB, clearly wrong.

I was wondering, since I made a Nandroid of this ROM, if it should have TWRP re-partition the sdcard. Then restore the backup and my personal files, if that would work.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Reformat Fat32 and don't load any files. See how much storage is available and go from there.

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
J
Reformat Fat32 and don't load any files. See how much storage is available and go from there.

Thanks for the tip. Not sure the exact steps, but I'll research it (God bless Google). But I thought Android file system was ext4? Anyway, I did let TWRP repartition the sdcard, thinking it was referring to phone storage, but, no, it really meant the external sdcard (the terminology has always seemed vague to me). Fortunately there was nothing on it, so it was a lesson learned.

Btw, I restored a backup of the JB ROM I had been on, and phone storage is still 2GB, so now I'm wondering if the partition table is corrupt.

Edit: got it sorted. Ended up re-locking and flashing the RUU. But it still showed only 2GB, so I decided just to erase internal storage from settings. I figured what the hell. That did it. All available storage reappeared. So I unlocked, rooted and restored a Nandroid and I'm back in business.

Sent from my Vivid 4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy