Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By VDub2174
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  • 1 Post By ajua
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    613 Global Posts

Default Questions about third-party launchers and stock ones

I got the HTC One last Friday and I'm almost set up like I want.

I've tried Nova and Apex and like them both, I just can't decide which one to buy.

The questions I have about launchers are these:

1.- If I set a launcher as the default one, what happens to the stock one? Will it start in the background at boot and consume battery?
    2.- Do I have to delete widgets I have from the stock launcher so they don't update or work in the background before setting a third party launcher as the default with its own widgets?

Perhaps I'm just confused, but I expect that the stock launcher won't start at boot, it's widgets won't work in the background and in general, I wont get any battery consumption from the stock with it widgets if I set another one as the default.

Any info on this one? As an aside, which launcher do you guys recommend between Nova and Apex?

Thanks!

Default Re: Questions about third-party launchers and stock ones

I've been using Apex for a while now and I haven't seen my stock launcher working in the background. Just make sure to clear defalts with the stock launcher and you should be good to go
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
    srkmagnus likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    613 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    I've been using Apex for a while now and I haven't seen my stock launcher working in the background. Just make sure to clear defalts with the stock launcher and you should be good to go
    Thanks for the reset defaults suggestion. I thought of doing so before setting Nova or Apex as the default.

Will try some more things before settling with one of them.

Global Posts
    17,429 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by ajua View Post
    I got the HTC One last Friday and I'm almost set up like I want.

I've tried Nova and Apex and like them both, I just can't decide which one to buy.

The questions I have about launchers are these:

1.- If I set a launcher as the default one, what happens to the stock one? Will it start in the background at boot and consume battery?
    2.- Do I have to delete widgets I have from the stock launcher so they don't update or work in the background before setting a third party launcher as the default with its own widgets?

Perhaps I'm just confused, but I expect that the stock launcher won't start at boot, it's widgets won't work in the background and in general, I wont get any battery consumption from the stock with it widgets if I set another one as the default.

Any info on this one? As an aside, which launcher do you guys recommend between Nova and Apex?

Thanks!
    VDub is right. The stock launcher is halfway disabled when you declare to your phone what you want to be default. Honestly I prefer Nova, but Apex is a good one too. So is ADW.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    VDub2174 and srkmagnus like this.

Global Posts
    7,398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I'm using Nova. You can't go wrong with either, imo. For any widgets you lose the Play Store has good, or better, replacements. Let's know what you decide to use.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    VDub2174 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    613 Global Posts

I bought Nova after trying thee free versin and also Apex. Honestly, both are very similar but decided on Nova. The only things I'm missing are the weather widgets from HTC, specially the one with the clock (the new one, not the old-school with the flip clock) and the power toggles.

For weather I just decided to keep EZ Weather (free without ads right now) because it has a similar widget and the interface is great.

I will pick up some wallpapers and try a few icon packs. This is how my screen looks right now.

PS: resizing Falcon and Facebook widgets allowed me to keep them in one row and I now have access to them on my left screen. I like to use 3 with the Home in the middle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions about third-party launchers and stock ones-screenshot_2013-06-14-01-07-39.jpg   Questions about third-party launchers and stock ones-screenshot_2013-06-14-01-09-17.jpg  
    VDub2174 likes this.