Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: Help with a Samsung Galaxy Centura

For those of you whose phones stopped working, the best ST tech support is available on ST's Facebook page. (If you don't have an account, create one.) Go to their FB page, state the problem with the phone and ask for assistance. They'll get back to you, usually pretty quickly. (Read the page and you'll see who's helping others, and how - well, not "good", but "better than the people on the phone" - they are there.)

Hello, about 6 months ago I bought a Samsung Galaxy Centura from one of the local Wal-Marts. It worked great with minor exceptions such as, turning off without manually turning it off, showing itself to be charging while not on the charger, and not showing it was charging while on the charger, for the first two months, then it would not charge anymore even after taking the battery out. It happens my family's cell phones all can work on the same charger so therefore, I tried plugging the charger used for my Centura into my mom's cell and it charged, I then tried plugging one of their chargers into my cell, however it still didn't charge. Afterwards, my mom took the cell back to Wal-Mart and they confirmed, quote, "We don't know why it's not charging." Therefore we acquired a new Centura. which after 2 more months charger had stopped working, and 2 months more after that did the same as the first (same minor defects happened on this Centura). Now I'm asking on here what should I do (Note: Times are estimated, however I assure that I purchased the first Centura no more than 6 and a half months ago.) Please reply with an answer to my problem. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Rose View Post
    Hello, about 6 months ago I bought a Samsung Galaxy Centura from one of the local Wal-Marts. It worked great with minor exceptions such as, turning off without manually turning it off, showing itself to be charging while not on the charger, and not showing it was charging while on the charger, for the first two months, then it would not charge anymore even after taking the battery out. It happens my family's cell phones all can work on the same charger so therefore, I tried plugging the charger used for my Centura into my mom's cell and it charged, I then tried plugging one of their chargers into my cell, however it still didn't charge. Afterwards, my mom took the cell back to Wal-Mart and they confirmed, quote, "We don't know why it's not charging." Therefore we acquired a new Centura. which after 2 more months charger had stopped working, and 2 months more after that did the same as the first (same minor defects happened on this Centura). Now I'm asking on here what should I do (Note: Times are estimated, however I assure that I purchased the first Centura no more than 6 and a half months ago.) Please reply with an answer to my problem. Thank you.
    Welcome to Android Central! I don't have a good answer for you, except that it sounds like you got two duds. The similarity in the defects would suggest some systematic problem with the Centura.
    Thanked by:

I am new here and have a samsung galaxy centura, only have had the phone for a cpl weeks and when i take photos with my phone the photos are stretched and i do not know why... can anyone help me figure this out so my photos are normal. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to Android Central! Where are you seeing them stretched out--in the phone's Gallery, or uploaded to Google+ or Facebook?

Make sure the camera is set to take pictures at the highest resolution. Open the Camera app, press the Menu button, and look for the Camera Settings (usually an icon that looks like a gear or a bunch of switches). There should be a setting for resolution.

When i take them i can see them in my gallery stretched and when i send them to people.. i dont know if i can add a pic to show u or not. I will try this thank you.
    Last edited by maryflannery80; 01-02-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: finish posting

I'm having similar problems. I just got a Centura, and am trying to figure out some way to connect it to an old mac running 10.4. I really just want to be able to move files from the internal memory to an external sd card that I just put in. I need to be able to:

-transfer files to and from my mac
    -set external card as the default install location
    -move files from the internal to the external card

Tell me I don't need to get a new computer for this cheap little phone.

Thanks up front!

I cannot open text messages from some people, but other I can. Do I have to delete entire threads?

I'm having multiple problems with my samsung centura.
    One is I'm not able to play videos on anything but on YouTube like on my browser n such
    Also my phone lags and I don't get notifications for 20 mins after I receive a message such as on Facebook or
    Get notifications on Instagram. My phone also lags out and the screen goes black for five to ten mins. Or if I turn it off by taking out the battery
    The phone has been doing this since I got it. I got it on Christmas so I've had it little close to a month.
    Also every time I try doing a software update it fails even on wifi or data. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Stein View Post
    I'm having multiple problems with my samsung centura.
    One is I'm not able to play videos on anything but on YouTube like on my browser n such
    Also my phone lags and I don't get notifications for 20 mins after I receive a message such as on Facebook or
    Get notifications on Instagram. My phone also lags out and the screen goes black for five to ten mins. Or if I turn it off by taking out the battery
    The phone has been doing this since I got it. I got it on Christmas so I've had it little close to a month.
    Also every time I try doing a software update it fails even on wifi or data. Thank you
    Welcome to Android Central! Ugh, that sounds frustrating. You might have to try a factory data reset, which will wipe all of your data and your apps, so make sure your data is backed up (you can reinstall all of your apps afterwards). You could try booting into recovery, if possible on your phone, and wiping the system cache partition. Try the following steps, which I gathered on the web, although I can't guarantee it'll work:

1. Power off your phone.
    2. Hold the Volume Up button, then press and hold the Power button for a second.
    3. If you see the Recovery Menu, select "wipe cache partition," and press Power to execute.
    4. After that's done, select "reboot system now," and press Power.
    Thanked by:

I am new to Android Central and I really hope I can find my answer here. I am having trouble recalibrating my Samsung Centura's touch screen. The worst part is in my keyboard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks y'all!!

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by Amoore 0626; 01-11-2014 at 01:11 AM.

How do you set your storage to your SD card

Quote Originally Posted by Amoore 0626 View Post
    I am new to Android Central and I really hope I can find my answer here. I am having trouble recalibrating my Samsung Centura's touch screen. The worst part is in my keyboard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks y'all!!

Welcome to Android Central! I don't think there is any touchscreen calibration app or function. Have you considered a factory data reset? Also, make sure the screen is very clean. Excessive oil buildup can potentially cause inaccurate touches.

Quote Originally Posted by goins95 View Post
    How do you set your storage to your SD card

Welcome to Android Central! This is typically app-dependent. For example, on some devices, you can set the stock Camera to save photos to the external SD card by default, but not on all devices. Check individual apps to see if you have this option.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Download the latest drivers. Generally the phone brand company will make a program specifically for that phone.
    Thanks,
    Ziffid
    Please Check Out My Website about Android and Apple News!! http://www.ziffid.com
    Thanked by:

I have a Galaxy Centura from Straight Talk. It keeps telling me I have an update available, but every time I try to update it, it will get about half-way with the process and fail. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajsmith314 View Post
    I have a Galaxy Centura from Straight Talk. It keeps telling me I have an update available, but every time I try to update it, it will get about half-way with the process and fail. Any help?
    Welcome to Android Central! Sometimes it's an issue with the server--you might just have to wait a couple of days and try again. Also try rebooting, see if it updates afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajsmith314 View Post
    I've had the same issue with failed "system updates" for the past few weeks. Gets about a third of the way through then the droid lays on it's back w/ red exclamation mark. Finally opened a ticket w/ Straight Talk yesterday, they said they don't support "system updates" At least it's not "bricking" after the failure.

I have a Samsung Centura and it will not talk to text? When I hit the voice button it says connection error. Same thing with google when I try to use the talk button, any suggestions?

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by jrouze View Post
    I have a Samsung Centura and it will not talk to text? When I hit the voice button it says connection error. Same thing with google when I try to use the talk button, any suggestions?
    You need a data connection (phone data or wifi) for that to work.
    Thanked by:
    jrouze 

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by ks_greg View Post
    I've had the same issue with failed "system updates" for the past few weeks. Gets about a third of the way through then the droid lays on it's back w/ red exclamation mark. Finally opened a ticket w/ Straight Talk yesterday, they said they don't support "system updates"
    Since it's the carrier that's sending the updates (Straight Talk is the network operator, Verizon is the carrier), I can see their viewpoint. They have no control over updates.) Maybe walk it into a Verizon store?

Hey, I'm new here and I'm happy to find this forum.
    I'm new to smart phones. I'm really not a gadget guy and I stuck with a very old Motorola flip phone through Verizon mainly because I really didn't need more than just the ability to make phone calls. My wife on the other hand wanted a phone for texting so she could keep up with her friends. Well doing the math it was pretty apparent that staying with Verizon was really NOT the way to go for the best service for the money.
    After some shopping we went with StraightTalk and each got a Samsung Galaxy Centura. And I'm glad I made the move to a smart phone mainly because it combines several different devices into one portable and easy to carry device. I opted to add a 4GB micro SD card to expand the storage because I wanted to add a teaching series and things like audio books to it and not burden the limited built in storage.
    Hooking the phone to my PC via the supplied USB cable I see 2 folders.
    1 says SD CARD the other says USB STORAGE.
    So I moved 2.3GB worth of MP3 audio over to the SD Card folder. Everything went smoothly.
    I checked the phone and I notice an alert that says "LOW ON SPACE the phone storage space is getting low". I check and for the built in storage it is down to 50mb.
    I check further and find NOTHING was actually written to the SD card. It all went in the built in storage.
    I then thought maybe the format on the SD card is bad, so I chose to reformat and try all this again. I got the same result.
    I guess if nothing else I can remove the SD card and connect it directly to the PC and write the data that but that is a real hassle because I have to remove the hard case, then the rear cover of the phone, etc.
    So what is the answer here?
    It really seems strange that this phone offers easily expanded storage and then won't let you get at it!

Any help please??
    Thanks everyone.

Welcome to Android Central! It has to do with the confusing way Android refers to its various storage areas. The Internal Storage is regarded by the device as an internal and unremoveable "SD Card," while the external SD card that you insert is usually called "External SD card." (In your case, the external SD card might be called USB Storage, but not sure about this.) See this guide for more info about memory: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings

Whenever I transfer music to an external SD card, I find it goes much more smoothly if I remove the card from the phone (making sure to unmount it first in the Settings>Storage menu), insert it into the computer, and use Windows Explorer to drag and drop music files directly to the card.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! It has to do with the confusing way Android refers to its various storage areas. The Internal Storage is regarded by the device as an internal and unremoveable "SD Card," while the external SD card that you insert is usually called "External SD card." (In your case, the external SD card might be called USB Storage, but not sure about this.) See this guide for more info about memory: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings

Whenever I transfer music to an external SD card, I find it goes much more smoothly if I remove the card from the phone (making sure to unmount it first in the Settings>Storage menu), insert it into the computer, and use Windows Explorer to drag and drop music files directly to the card.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I discover a rather back-handed way to get what I needed accomplished.
    When I connect to my phone Linux reports it as USB storage. And the only contents you can see or access is the built in storage. It is easy and quick to move files to this space.
    I installed a app called SD card manager that I can actually view the external SD card. Then it is a matter of copy, paste, and delete the original files on the built in storage to free up the space again.
    This is a cumbersome process but it is much better than breaking down the phone and removing the card every time I need to add some files.
    Thanks!

My sister and I bought galaxy centuras for each other for christmas and they were working fine until a week later and the sound completely went out on mine it wont ring or make any noise unless i plug in head phones or use a head set. I tried turning it off and on and factory resetting and neither worked and now the sound on my sisters phone has went out too. Is there any way to fix this?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast