Help with a Samsung Galaxy Centura

kaitneedshelp

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
So, I recently got Straight Talk's Centura. But, there's something I'm really confused about. Whenever I plug my phone into my computer, instead showing up like it should, it just shows up as a portable device. The only options I have are to view the files in Windows Explorer (the folder is empty) or to sync files via Windows Media Player (when it opens WMP, it doesn't show as a device on the right side.) Does anyone know what to do? I just want to add music to my phone. Any help would be insanely appreciated. Thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you connect the phone to the computer, look at the phone's screen and swipe down the notification shade. There should be a notification for USB connection. Tap on that, and see if you have the option to select "USB Mass Storage" or "Disk Drive" (different phone brands may use different terminology). It sounds like it's currently set to MTP, which is used for the old style MP3 players.

johnny davidson

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
B. Diddy, I just tried that and mine came up with MTP as default and the only other choice I had was a PTP. This is for photos, but it will transfer any file from your computer that doesn't support MTP. Thanks, great answer.

Now, I have a question. I set up my gmail up on my new Samsung Centura and I also set up another email up that I use at work. The problem is, on the non-gmail account, my inbox keeps disappearing. Is there a setup somewhere on my phone that I don't know about?

Last edited by a moderator:

smccloud1955

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Find and install latest Samsung USB drivers on your computer. Go to Google Playstore, install Kies Air and you will be able to manipulate files on your Android device.

Charles_Grannemann

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I am having alot of problems with this phone as far as
Downloading videos it wont download or play most
If any and when i go to the downloads built in app
All it gives me is the option to delete or put them in order
By date or size its really crappy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Phone won't play or download videos. Anyone know how to fix this?

Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about YouTube or some other video site?

- - - Updated - - -

I am having alot of problems with this phone as far as
Downloading videos it wont download or play most
If any and when i go to the downloads built in app
All it gives me is the option to delete or put them in order
By date or size its really crappy

Welcome to Android Central! Where are you trying to download videos from?

cjcf48

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I connected the phone to the computer and it's currently set to MTP> what do I need to change to stop the music playback error and get my music to play?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Having trouble downloading pic messages

Welcome to Android Central! I assume you have a Galaxy Centura as well, correct? Which wireless provider do you use?

Make sure your mobile data connection is on (i.e., 3G or 4G). MMS messages (multimedia, like photos or videos) require mobile data to be on.

stephimarii

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
So i just bought a Samsung Galaxy Centura for straight talk. I got home, opened it up and plugged it in. The phone will not turn on. There is a battery with what looks like a loading circle of some kind inside of it. The battery and circle will come on and then off..so on and so forth. Any idea what could be possibly wrong with this phone since it is brand new right out of the box? Also, it shows the battery when it is plugged in, nothing happens when it is not.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How long did you hold down the power button? If your phone is completely powered down, it often takes a longer press of the button to power it on. If the phone arrived with a drained battery, you should probably leave it plugged in undisturbed for several hours before trying to power it on.

stephimarii

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
i held it down for about a minute if not longer and just the same on and off battery symbol with a loading circle... it has also been plugged in for over an hour, so it should at least show some activity of turning on if anything...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Pull the battery (if you can), then put it back in, and leave it plugged in overnight. Then try again.

Big blue2

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had my phone for a little over a month. yesterday I lost all sound on the phone and I can't figure out how to get it back. The volume is all the way up. and the sound is not on mute or vibrate. I can still hear when talking on the phone but anything that would go to the back speaker isn't being heard.