Cracked screen - increased radiation?

Tom S1

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I recently cracked my phone's screen (in case it's relevant, its a Galaxy SII).

The crack is a small one running from mid-top to above-mid-right. The glass is not a scratch hazard, since I had a protective sticker on, and it's pretty much all in place. I haven't lost any functionality, and frankly I'd be happy to keep using the phone as is; However, I have been warned that there is a danger of unsafe levels of radiation from any kind of cracked screen.

I couldn't find any information to corroborate this online; can anyone shed more light on this?

Thanks
tom

bill hughes2

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
You are in no danger from your phone screen. The only thing that lcd or led displays radiate is light. The warning you read refers to the old style crt displays where an electron beam is fired at the screen. Technically electrons are alpha particles.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about RF emissions if that's what you are referring to. If it bothers you, I would suggest using a blue tooth headset to make calls.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

malonec3

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
You are in no danger from your phone screen. The only thing that lcd or led displays radiate is light. The warning you read refers to the old style crt displays where an electron beam is fired at the screen. Technically electrons are alpha particles.

[Nerd comment: Electrons are beta particles, alpha particles are the same as a helium-4 nucleus (2protons/2neutrons).:p but you are right, the old CRT tv's shot electrons at the screen to generate the display and were a bit of a hazard!]

The samsung s3 uses a Super AMOLED display which is basicly an array of LEDs emitting photons of light. The exposure to the light from your phone will have no affect on your skin even if the screen is cracked. Unless your planning to permenantly stick the phone to your face for several years I wouldnt even think about it. :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
[Nerd comment: Electrons are beta particles, alpha particles are the same as a helium-4 nucleus (2protons/2neutrons).:p but you are right, the old CRT tv's shot electrons at the screen to generate the display and were a bit of a hazard!]

The samsung s3 uses a Super AMOLED display which is basicly an array of LEDs emitting photons of light. The exposure to the light from your phone will have no affect on your skin even if the screen is cracked. Unless your planning to permenantly stick the phone to your face for several years I wouldnt even think about it. :)
Just got my crash course in screen radiation courtesy of the fine people on AndroidCentral. :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci