Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GadgetGator
  • 1 Post By rootjunkie
  • 1 Post By GadgetGator
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Horrible battery life with Google Play Music All Access

Really loving All Access, however really hating the battery drain I am getting with the updated app. My battery drain problems started immediately after updating from the pre-All Access version which I never had trouble with. Now it hogs all my battery. Even overnight when I'm sleeping, and the app is not be used and fully exited using the back button, I am getting a loss of 10% battery life per hour. Actually using my phone is even worse. In fact it's rather unusable at this rate of drain. In about 45 minutes of GPMAA use, it lost 25% battery life!

I searched the net and saw that some others had the same problem and some seemed to solve it by unchecking the Google Music sync from their account section in settings. I did that, but still getting horrible battery life. Short of uninstalling this app, and losing a service I am really starting to like, what can I do? Any ideas anyone?

SOLVED: update fixed problem.
    Last edited by GadgetGator; 07-26-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    mightyfacundo likes this.

Default Re: Horrible battery life with Google Play Music All Access

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Really loving All Access, however really hating the battery drain I am getting with the updated app. My battery drain problems started immediately after updating from the pre-All Access version which I never had trouble with. Now it hogs all my battery. Even overnight when I'm sleeping, and the app is not be used and fully exited using the back button, I am getting a loss of 10% battery life per hour. Actually using my phone is even worse. In fact it's rather unusable at this rate of drain. In about 45 minutes of GPMAA use, it lost 25% battery life!

I searched the net and saw that some others had the same problem and some seemed to solve it by unchecking the Google Music sync from their account section in settings. I did that, but still getting horrible battery life. Short of uninstalling this app, and losing a service I am really starting to like, what can I do? Any ideas anyone?
    Yikes! the way I save my battery is by setting my screen time-out to the lowest setting,dimming brightness, exiting games when I'm done playing,and killing tasks. Use this amazing app:http://tinyurl.com/mzkwjkd to kill tasks properly AND clear up junk it's free. Try my method or some of it and report back if you can please.

GOOD LUCK!
    nickgalaxys4 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

But the issue isn't any of those other things or battery life in general. It's this specific app. Besides, I do those things anyway, except for the task killer part which are more problematic then they are worth. Turning down the screen isn't going to fix this problem when the problem continues while the screen is off and I am sleeping and not even using the phone!

But the issue isn't any of those other things or battery life in general. It's this specific app. Besides, I do those things anyway, except for the task killer part which are more problematic then they are worth. Turning down the screen isn't going to fix this problem when the problem continues while the screen is off and I am sleeping and not even using the phone!
    I see I re-read your post and I made a mistake on analyzing your issue. Anyways, from my research this version of Google Music is the problem try this link:http://www.4shared.com/file/GMg4kxMD/google_play_music__41513_.htm and see if the problem persists I'm not sure if it works with all access 'cause i'm broke.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Turning down the screen isn't going to fix this problem when the problem continues while the screen is off and I am sleeping and not even using the phone!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Still hoping for an answer, it seemed to use less for some reason last night, but still took a 25% hit overnight, and that was even without cell service...only had wifi on. And Google hasn't answered my email to them yet. So frustrating!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

No one? No one has any battery life issues with this app, but me?

I did some more test last night...definitely still dropping 10% per hour when not being used and around 25% per hour when I am actually using the app. It seems to be phoning home a lot. Even though I have the sync Google Music turned OFF under settings/account and even when I turn off background sync for apps, I continue to see the little sync icon pop up repeatedly, around every minute or two. And this is on wifi..I would hate to see what it would be doing if I allowed to connect to 3G. So then I decided to confirm this is the issue by putting it on airplane mode last night...yup! That's the issue. Once I blocked it that way, my battery life stayed put. Obviously being a streaming cloud music app, this isn't a fix.

Can anyone tell me if they see this sync issue with their phone and Google Music too?

Not having any noticeable extra battery drain with my phone or Tablet.

What phone do you have? What version of Android are you using?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDroid View Post
    Not having any noticeable extra battery drain with my phone or Tablet.

What phone do you have? What version of Android are you using?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Until I switch carriers and get my new phone, I am on a Motorola Triumph which runs only 2.2 and has never had any updates. It was pretty much abandoned as soon as Google bought Motorola. but, I've never really had too many problems with it, and certainly nothing of this magnitude before. I did come across a number of other people having similar battery drain problems on a variety of devices, but those problems seemed to have been fixed for those people with an update to the app, whereas for me, the problem persit despite running the same version they are (the latest). And Google isn't returning my emails. So annoying! Feeling hung out to dry.

I love all access as it gives me a way to legally download all the music i want. Just use a program called "song spout" it lets you dump the radio streams to an mp3 file

Edit: the program can be found here
    Song Spout - Google Music All Access Ripper
    Last edited by iSalty; 07-08-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add a link
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by iSalty View Post
    I love all access as it gives me a way to legally download all the music i want. Just use a program called "song spout" it lets you dump the radio streams to an mp3 file

Edit: the program can be found here
    Song Spout - Google Music All Access Ripper
    That's probably at best, borderline piracy and in no way relates to my post nor solves my problem. Which by the way is still continuing even with the new version of Google's app released this week. So annoying. I might have to try Sony's service if Google doesn't fix this and see if it works any better for me. It's cheaper right now too with their half off promotion. And I'd be able to use it on my PS3 and iOS too. Making two more platforms I could listen on. In a holding pattern right now to see if Google even bothers to answer the emails I have sent them. They started to, and then they just stopped. Guess they have no answer or solution either. And guess they don't want to keep my business. They certainly aren't doing a good job so far.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!

I had the same problem on my DNA. With All Access, I couldn't make it through 9 hours, so I cancelled the service. Immediately I jumped back up to 19+ hours on a charge. I loved the service, but hated the battery life, so it had to go. I don't know how to fix the problem but I wanted you to know that you're not the only one experiencing this issue.

Sent from my Asus TF1000000T
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thank you for letting me know that. Much appreciated. So far Google tech support has been absolutely WORTHLESS. They sent me an email and started talking about problems and devices I didn't even have. They got my name right and everything else wrong! So useless. I honestly do not understand why there aren't more competent people at these large companies. This isn't the first time I have had poor tech support. It's really disappointing.

I've even done all their work for them. It's specifically related to streaming music. If I start with a freshly rebooted phone, and only play locally stored songs with the app, no problem. But once I stream even one song, it starts a runaway process that drains the battery. So for now, I can get around the problem with sticking to locally stored music, but that's not what I am paying $8 a month for. To add salt to the wound, I also have problems on my Mac computer with it (stuttering) while I can stream Spotify and Amazon just fine. Google needs to get it together.

I've even done all their work for them. It's specifically related to streaming music. If I start with a freshly rebooted phone, and only play locally stored songs with the app, no problem. But once I stream even one song, it starts a runaway process that drains the battery. So for now, I can get around the problem with sticking to locally stored music, but that's not what I am paying $8 a month for.
    Yep, my problem was directly tied to streaming music as well. I'm surprised that more people aren't experiencing this, or maybe they just haven't realized it yet??? But how could they not. I would wake my phone in the morning, read something on the web, and lose 5% in under 5 minutes. Then, throughout the day my phone would drain while in sleep mode, which it hadn't done before. Using GSam Battery Monitor, I noticed that Kernel (Android OS) was responsible for between 50-70% of my battery drain. Since cancelling AA, it now sits at 20-23% each day, and the battery lasts all day.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

It is possible it affects only certain phones or certain versions of android. I don't know what the common thing is. All I know is that uninstalling it fixes the problem immediately and running and streaming starts the problem immediately. And is only stopped with a reboot. Well, I haven't tried force stopping the app yet. I figured the less I did the better.

At least they finally got back to me and started working on my problems with Mac OSX. Took two weeks for even a response, but at least they are looking into now. But when they are going to soon charge me 8 bucks for a new month of service and that thing does not work very well, two weeks is too long. They seem....overwhelmed.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Good news and bad news:

So I noticed that Google updated the app once again to support their new Chromecast thing, but also noticed it included bug fixes too. After installing and living with it for a few days I am happy to say that it seems like this week's update fixed the problem. The ultimate and very unplanned test came last night when I was so tired that I fell asleep listening to a couple of streamed songs. When I woke up this morning six hours later with one of my earbuds still on and the app still open even, my phone still had 75% of battery life whereas previously I would have just had a dead phone. So that's the good news. The bad is it still doesn't work right with my Mac, but hopefully that will get sorted out too.

MUCH happier with the service now then I was the last three weeks. Hopefully this update fixed things for anyone else that was still having a problem on Android too.
    Thanked by:
    mightyfacundo likes this.

That's good news, but can you keep an eye on it and update in about a week? I don't want to get it again (and spend the money) if it still drains my battery.

Thanks!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfacundo View Post
    That's good news, but can you keep an eye on it and update in about a week? I don't want to get it again (and spend the money) if it still drains my battery.

Thanks!
    Sure I can do that for you. Although between three days of testing and my additional unplanned test i don't expect a change. I just hope a future update doesn't break the improvements i have seen though. I'm paranoid of updates when things work! LOL What device/version of Android are you running BTW? Just wondering if there is anything in common. There probably isn't, but I was just curious.
    Thanked by:

Droid DNA running 4.1.1. Thanks again!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

You're welcome. So far so good still. However over the next few days I am going to be doing some more measured lab-type test and see what I get. However, I have stumbled onto another potential solution quite by accident which may work for you if Google's app still gives you trouble. it's another app called BubbleUPnP. It's mostly used for beaming files to a TV which is what I am using it for, however it works as a stand alone music player for both local files on the phone, as well as Google Music stuff off of the cloud, including All Access subscriptions. This has been absolutely awesome as I have been able to play all the many many albums and playlist I have made, right over my home theatre speakers by sending directly to my TV. It works pretty SWEETLY. And the battery life seems okay, but I need to do more testing with that app as well so I will be looking at both apps and playing the same playlist and see if there is a difference at all. So stay tuned.....
    Thanked by:

Hello.

I had the same problems (Razr HD, 4.1.2). After updating Google Music it worked fine, my battery life almost doubled. But yesterday I used Google Music All Access from my computer at work and after that the Android application started to drain battery again. Today, for the last 4 hours Google Play Music has used 56% of total battery usage, and I've not opened it on my terminal.