Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Any way to not get gmail notifications for certain emails, without skipping inbox?

    Just got my first smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy S4, a few weeks ago. I get several daily promotions from online stores, newsletters, news aggregation emails, etc. in my gmail account, and it's been bugging me to get a notification on my phone every time one of them comes in. I've found several ways to avoid getting these notifications, but they all involve filtering these messages in such a way that they skip the inbox, get marked as read, or just plain don't get synced. What I would really like is to have these emails hit the inbox as usual, unread, and synced to my phone, but NOT get a notification about them. Is there a way to do this?
  2. #2  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,743 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Any way to not get gmail notifications for certain emails, without skipping inbox?

    You can specify a certain filter to still show up as unread in the inbox. You might need to access the desktop version of Gmail and set that up.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Any way to not get gmail notifications for certain emails, without skipping inbox?

    But how would that cause my phone not to give me a notification?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Any way to not get gmail notifications for certain emails, without skipping inbox?

    Have you setup Inbox Tabs with your gmail account yet? If not...

    Once you have tabs setup for your gmail account, you can specify your notifications for each tab of the inbox from the gmail app on your device. Go to Menu > Settings > Select the gmail account > Manage Labels. From there you will see labels for each of your inbox tabs, where you can turn notifications on/off, notify only once, etc..

    For example... I have a Promotions tab that never notifies me.
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin
  5. #5  
    cbulkman's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    ROM
    AR HD 7.0.1 w/RCMix3D

    Default Re: Any way to not get gmail notifications for certain emails, without skipping inbox?

    Simply go into settings for the email account, uncheck the notification box and voilà, no notifications. I have several email accounts and only use notifications for one of them.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Any way to not get gmail notifications for certain emails, without skipping inbox?

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverRalphy View Post
    Have you setup Inbox Tabs with your gmail account yet? If not...

    Once you have tabs setup for your gmail account, you can specify your notifications for each tab of the inbox from the gmail app on your device. Go to Menu > Settings > Select the gmail account > Manage Labels. From there you will see labels for each of your inbox tabs, where you can turn notifications on/off, notify only once, etc..

    For example... I have a Promotions tab that never notifies me.
    That doesn't help, because I can't customize the rules for each tab, and it puts some stuff in "Promotions" that I want to see in my regular inbox and get notifications for.

    Quote Originally Posted by cbulkman View Post
    Simply go into settings for the email account, uncheck the notification box and voilà, no notifications. I have several email accounts and only use notifications for one of them.
    The problem is that I do want to get notifications, just not for certain types of email.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Any way to not get gmail notifications for certain emails, without skipping inbox?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
    That doesn't help, because I can't customize the rules for each tab, and it puts some stuff in "Promotions" that I want to see in my regular inbox and get notifications for.
    If you find stuff in one tab (ie. Promotions) that you would prefer in your regular inbox, all you have to do is drag the message from one tab to the other. You will then be prompted to confirm whether you want all future messages from that sender into the tab that you chose.

    Alternatively, another method (that is similar to the tabs method), is you can setup labels for those recipients you don't wish to be notified. Then in the gmail app you can setup notification rules for those labels you created. Though I haven't used this method myself, so can't testify as to how well it works.
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Any way to not get gmail notifications for certain emails, without skipping inbox?

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverRalphy View Post
    If you find stuff in one tab (ie. Promotions) that you would prefer in your regular inbox, all you have to do is drag the message from one tab to the other. You will then be prompted to confirm whether you want all future messages from that sender into the tab that you chose.
    This method comes the closest to what I want to do. However, it's imperfect, because the first time I get an email from that sender, it will go into Promotions and I won't get notified. I would like for the "default" to be that all emails, including those from unknown senders, will go into the inbox and give me a notification, unless I have already set up a rule that applies to that particular email.

    Alternatively, another method (that is similar to the tabs method), is you can setup labels for those recipients you don't wish to be notified. Then in the gmail app you can setup notification rules for those labels you created. Though I haven't used this method myself, so can't testify as to how well it works.
    Tried that--it didn't work because that method doesn't allow you to say "DON'T give me a notification for this label, no matter what other rules apply to it." It merely allows you to not get a label-specific notification, but you will still get a notification because you have a new message in the inbox.

Similar Threads

  1. Not receiving texts from certain people (Verizon Galaxy S4)
    By tylerherwig in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 05:29 AM
  2. still not getting note sync answer
    By jrsharp70 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 09:27 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 10:32 PM
  5. I go to samsung appson my Galaxy s3 and cannot download an app
    By deanosig in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

B