1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Whats eating my data?

Hi,

My husband and I are new to smartphones. I think we were the last two people on the planet who had flip phones. We took the leap into smartphones, Droid Razr M to be exact, and we are eating throught data like crazy.

We check FB, have watched 2 videos, take pics and thats about it. Under data usage it seems FB is the culprit and I have since restricted background usage and make sre to log off.

What are we doing thats going through 2 G of data in less than a month?

Default Re: Whats eating my data?

New phones need to download a lot of updates and new apps right out of the gate. Keep an eye on your data usage, if it doesn't level off shortly then you have a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Do you have WiFi at home? If you run your phones off a WiFi connection it won't use your monthly data for almost everything except maybe picture and video texts. My wife and I use our phones quite a bit at home and end up using 200-300MB each per month (around 10-15% of our monthly mobile data allotment).

Hi and welcome to the forums. As garublador suggested, make sure you are on wifi at home (if you can). Also, you might want to go to the Play Store app and click on Menu->Settings, then "Auto-update Apps" and make sure it's set to either not update automatically or to update over wi-fi only.

You may also want to check out a data monitoring app to narrow down the culprit completely. I use My Data Manager which will track pretty much everything and really break it down for you.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I agree with Evil Monkey. You should install a data monitoring app and see what's using the data then address the problem accordingly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

If Facebook is showing a lot of data consumption, check the FB app settings and make sure you have Photo Sync turned off or set to Wi-Fi only (I don't recall whether FB has a Wi-Fi only setting for photo sync).

If you have it turned on, then you'll be eating data every time you snap a pic and it gets sent to FB.

Also check to see how often the app is at to refresh.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta.
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin

That's a good thought. It does have an option to sync over "Wi-Fi or Cellular"

Open facebook, press Menu->Settings and check the "Sync Photos" option to make sure it's either not going to sync them or only do it over Wi-Fi.