Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 & Straight Talk 4G

Hi
    I found few posts on how to use ATT or T Mobile GS4 on Straight Talk but nothing that would really answer my concerns.
    I would like to know if I can buy Unlocked Galaxy S4 on Amazon and it will work with Straight talk or does it need to be from ATT or T Mobile with their Sim card.
    I currently own cheap Motorola flip phone and I have my Straight Talk Sim card in it.

Can I use my Sim card in Galaxy S4?
    I also asked girl at Wal-Mart wireless store if I can use S4 with Straight Talk but she said no because S.T. does only 3G.
    But their S3 is on 4G.

So I am puzzled by all this because I saw others somehow make it work.
    What do I need to make this work and will I be able to use all Galaxy S4 futures with Straight Talk.
    Please help.
    Thank you.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: Galaxy S4 & Straight Talk 4G

This comes down to terminology. 4G is a meaningless marketing term at this point IMO. Here's how it works:
    Wireless networks have different designations (from slowest to fastest sorta): Edge, HSPA, HSPA+, LTE. Edge is horrifically slow. HSPA is usually at least acceptably fast. HSPA+ can rival LTE or even exceed actual speeds on LTE depending on the number of concurrent users on each band, and LTE is the fastest currently available (in the US) top speed connection. Some carriers will brand HSPA and HSPA+ as "4G" while all carriers will brand LTE as 4G. To make this more confusing, nobody has officially defined the 4G spec to the best of my knowledge. The term is just a carrier marketing term and should largely be ignored in favor of HSPA/+ and LTE.
    So now that we have that out of the way, let's use real terms for what you will experience on ST. I am a former ST user so I can attest to what you'll see. LTE is out of the question. There are currently no MVNOs I know of that provide LTE coverage. The fastest I had was HSPA+, and my average download speed was around 13mbps. That's sufficient for 80+% of use cases. You'll have to consult your local coverage map for whichever type of Straight Talk SIM card you have, whether that's T-Mobile or AT&T's I do not know. Straight Talk essentially pays rent to use both of those networks and the SIM you install determines which network you're on. The AT&T cards are very hard to come by now.
    If the SIM card fits in the S4's slot it will work. You need to ensure your device is SIM unlocked, not bootloader unlocked. There are two different terminologies there as well. Hopefully this answers some questions, however if you're still confused I don't blame you. Feel free to reply here with direct questions to get clear answers. I'll do the best I can.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Galaxy S4 & Straight Talk 4G

Thank you for quick reply.
    You helped mi figure out this LTE confusion.
    However I just realized that I will need new Sim card because I was on my $35 month. Cheap flip phone and I will need to step up to $45 plan.
    My main concern for performance is because I would like to use this phone for Skype video calls to Europe.
    I was also considering S3 but from what I was reading on forums people had little issues with Skype on S3.
    I dont know if it was because of Hardware or Software on S3 but I may not get new phone for a while so I would like to spend little more money and have latest.
    Once again thank you for your time and help.