Samsung Galaxy S3 "Camera Failed"

velio

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I have got a Samsung Galaxy S3 i had for nearly a year with no problems but suddenly for few days ago when i tried to open the Camera nothing happended the screen just turned black and a warning with "Camera Failed" poped up and when i pressed okay it just got out of the camera and when i try again.. same thing. i tried several of things i read here on the internet with no luck and then several of factory resets again with no luck. I read that im not the only one with this problem but i could not find a solution.
My question is have you guys heard or had this thing before if yes then how did you guys fixed it?

im new on the forum btw. :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Try clearing the cache and data for the camera in the app settings.

Menu - settings - applications

Look for the camera app and open it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Janneth Astrid

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Try clearing the cache and data for the camera in the app settings.

Menu - settings - applications

Look for the camera app and open it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I have the same problem. .. my camera has been doing this too.. I did a factory reset also and nothing. Installed other apps and nothing ... did your suggestion. . And it worked ONE time and never again :'(

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem. .. my camera has been doing this too.. I did a factory reset also and nothing. Installed other apps and nothing ... did your suggestion. . And it worked ONE time and never again :'(

Did the problem start immediately after a factory reset? You should try the camera with no apps installed and see if that helps.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

kc00143

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem with my T-Mobile S3 where I try to start the camera and a black screen shows and then "Camera Failed" pops up- taking me back to the home screen. I have tried deleting numerous apps, tried different camera apps to see if any work, tried pulling the battery, deleted 300 pictures off the phone to see if there was memory shortages and none of this has worked. I have not deleted the camera data in app manager, I don't want to lose the rest of the pictures I have saved (phone is linked into google account but I don't think everything is backed up). I did run over the phone with my truck a while back (OtterBox case) and only cracked the screen. The camera/phone worked us usual for over a month after that other than just the glass being cracked so I dont think that has anything to do with it. One thing though, the FRONT camera DOES work, ONLY in Snapchat app though? I haven't tried deleting Snapchat yet though.

What do yall think?

thati

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've tried this there's no cache to clear , then I've cleared data.but still the same. nothing happened. exactly 1 year passed with the contract and another year to go. :(
any more ideas?

galaxyS3 CA

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a fix for this. My AT&T GS3 just started doing this on Monday.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 as well thru AT&T and my camera started doing this last week. Just completed one year and still have another to go. Samsung needs to take responsibility and find a solution immediately.

tylerinappleton

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem. However I have trouble shooted the problem and realized it is NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE.

I have tried several resets, etc.

My problem started where my camera was taking photos, but had white lines in all of them, and sometimes would automatically go into camera failed message. Then after awhile went into camera failed every time.

After removing the backplate I wiggled around the camera (gently) and realized it was a connection to the camera. If I pushed steaight down on the lens, the camera would function like normal for a few minutes. But after doing this a few times I realized it was a very temporary fix.

Does anyone know how to repair the connection, or any other help with this camera issue? I have had the phone for under a year, and used an otterbox defender. I have also never had any serious drops that would make me suspect any internal hardware problems.

Thanks

americangeiko

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If you're getting the error message "Camera Failed" AND a message regarding your SD Card this should alleviate the issue:

1) From the Home Screen:
Touch "Apps"> find and select the "Settings" app > scroll and select "Application Manager" > swipe over until the tab at the top reads "All" > Scroll down and touch "Camera" > Tap on Camera > press "Clear Cache".
2) Take the back off your phone.
3) Identify and remove your SD card.
4) Reinsert the SD card.
5) Restart the device.

Last edited:

Bpster

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've scrolled down to the applications and I don't have a camera application to uninstall. When I turn the camera on it turn on a black screen. I'm still under warranty I think.

jerdm20

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. I found a temporary solution of removing my sd card. Then it works! I'm guessing the card is damaged..

jerdm20

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
... this just in! I put my sd card into my girlfriends galaxy s3 took a picture and put it back in mine. Now it works in my phone!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've scrolled down to the applications and I don't have a camera application to uninstall. When I turn the camera on it turn on a black screen. I'm still under warranty I think.

Welcome to Android Central! Maybe the Camera app got disabled. Go to System Settings/Apps/All, and scroll all the way to the bottom, which is where Disabled apps are listed. Do you see Camera there? If so, tap it and tap Enable.

Patricia b

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have same issue as well and I try that too but still wont open the back or front camera... last thing I don't want to do is hard rest... and by the way where do I send that cause Im unable to clear the cache on my phone cause its 0.00b... should i clear data?? please let me know.. or where can I get fix....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have same issue as well and I try that too but still wont open the back or front camera... last thing I don't want to do is hard rest... and by the way where do I send that cause Im unable to clear the cache on my phone cause its 0.00b... should i clear data?? please let me know.. or where can I get fix....

Welcome to Android Central! Try clearing the system cache partition, which is different from the app cache. It is temporary system data that can sometimes cause problems--no important data will be lost. Follow these instructions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Chris Jones20

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
THERE IS A FIX TO THE "CAMERA FAILED" error message. This is not a software issue. At least for me it wasnt. I believe this comes down to a bad connection or something is grounding out on the motherboard that is not supposed to.

THE FIX:
Turn the phone over remove the battery cover and look for the screw on the top left. Remove screw and try camera. You can leave the battery in and the phone on during this so you can check immediately to see if this resolved the problem. If that screw is not the cause try different screws.

Good luck to all

Dennis David

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem.
Using my mobile camera i can take photos, no problem but when i am switching to video recording, getting a message "RECORDING FAILED"
I restarted, changed storage location, but still not working.
Please help me to fix.

TnTmomma

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 "Camera Failed"

So i did all this too but what I figured out was that it was the new facebook messaging App... Delete that and it will work again. Trust me I tried everything then I read about messanging apps like skype and such...doing this, the only new thing I did was the FB messanging app, so i deleted it and instantly I have my camera back.

- - - Updated - - -

So i did all this too but what I figured out was that it was the new facebook messaging App... Delete that and it will work again. Trust me I tried everything then I read about messanging apps like skype and such...doing this, the only new thing I did was the FB messanging app, so i deleted it and instantly I have my camera back.

tedsoep

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I just had the same issue occur with me this morning. I turned off my phone, removed the battery and my SD card, then reinserted both and now the camera works.

Best of luck!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon