Play account using only gift card?

MonteChristo

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello all!

I recently got my daughter a Nexus 7 and was curious how to handle the app store. I'd rather not put my credit card information in it. Is it possible to use Google Play gift cards to load money on her account for her to use in apps, or would going that route still require a credit card?

Thanks in advance!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That's a great question. I would think Play gift cards would be ok without a credit card.

Are you concerned about unauthorized purchases with you credit card?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

MonteChristo

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, I don't want her to be able to make purchases with my card. I understand I can make it so a pin/password is required for a purchase, but I don't want to have to input one when I'm making purchases on my device.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen Google play gift cards, but I use regular gift cards to purchase apps. Be aware though Google and amazon do not play nice with Visa gift cards. Whatever ones you get follow the instructions on the card to register them online, that way not only will the app store more likely take it but you can also check the balance.
I had 3 gift cards a visa and a MC I registered and 1 Mastercard unregistered. Play store wouldn't take the visa or the unregistered MC but did take the MC after registering it.
Amazon on the other hand took my visa, sent me the app which I installed, then an hour later sent me an email saying it was declined and I had 5 days to make good on the $1.50 I now owe them or else. That I found interesting.
AndroidPit had no problem taking either of the registered cards and a couple apps were even cheaper on there than the play store.
Hope some of this helps, oh and there's usually an extra fee when buying gift cards at stores usually around 4 to 7 dollars. Check with your bank as some offer free cash cards that you can reload with any amount. But I would urge to stick with a Mastercard brand that you register.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, I don't want her to be able to make purchases with my card. I understand I can make it so a pin/password is required for a purchase, but I don't want to have to input one when I'm making purchases on my device.
Ok, so there are two devices, yours and hers, that are using the same Google account?