Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 SD card issue

Hey,
    So i've had my gs3 since launch, and i've also had 3 different sd cards from 3 different brands die on me. It is so annoying when i lose a ton of photos like this So my question is if the problem is with my phone and if so should i try and get a replacement.

Thanks!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 07-15-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Global Posts
    7,436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Galaxy s3 sd card issue

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Pessotti View Post
    Hey,
    So i've had my gs3 since launch, and i've also had 3 different sd cards from 3 different brands die on me. It is so annoying when i lose a ton of photos like this So my question is if the problem is with my phone and if so should i try and get a replacement.

Thanks!
    What brand sd cards are you using? Also, what kind of damage are you talking about?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    What brand sd cards are you using? Also, what kind of damage are you talking about?
    Right now i'm using a 16gb kingston sd card that i purchased at the microsoft store. Before that I don't remember. They were purchased from best buy. I'm getting this notification saying "Damaged SD card. Try reformatting it. I basically cannot read the card on my phone or my PC. Photos completely gone. I've tried removing it and placing it back into the slot, restarting my phone, ect. nothing seems to work.

Global Posts
    7,436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Right now i'm using a 16gb kingston sd card that i purchased at the microsoft store. Before that I don't remember. They were purchased from best buy. I'm getting this notification saying "Damaged SD card. Try reformatting it. I basically cannot read the card on my phone or my PC. Photos completely gone. I've tried removing it and placing it back into the slot, restarting my phone, ect. nothing seems to work.
    Reformat the sdcard from within the phone settings. It should be under the storage option and you'll have an option to format the card. It looks like the card was corrupted somehow, maybe my an accidental removal while the card was in use.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Reformat the sdcard from within the phone settings. It should be under the storage option and you'll have an option to format the card. It looks like the card was corrupted somehow, maybe my an accidental removal while the card was in use.
    this will work, but only for so long until it gets corrupted again. I just seems like the phone is corrupting the cards.

Global Posts
    7,436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

this will work, but only for so long until it gets corrupted again. I just seems like the phone is corrupting the cards.
    Are you removing the sdcards?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Are you removing the sdcards?
    I've tried everything lol. I think it's the phone. :/ Going to go see if I can get a replacement tomorrow. Thanks for you help though.

Global Posts
    7,436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I've tried everything lol. I think it's the phone. :/ Going to go see if I can get a replacement tomorrow. Thanks for you help though.
    No problem - Let us know how the new device works out for you.

Default Re: Galaxy S3 SD card issue

I have similar issue with my Galaxy S3. It works fine with 2GB SD card included. I bought 16GB Kingston class 4, it worked few days or weeks and simply stopped to work. I bought 16GB Kingston class 10 but same issue occured again. I performed phone factory reset to see what will happen. Both SD cards are not burned, they work fine on PC and other smart phones

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

If he card goes in a few days, or even a few weeks, it's either a bad card or a bad phone.

But SD cards have a limited (huge, but limited) number of write cycles. If you're constantly saving stuff to the card, and it's going after a year or two, that's the way SD cards work. They're not long-term storage devices like hard drives. Always make sure that anything you have on an SD card that's important is backed up on something else, like a hard drive.

My GS3 has just last night given me the same error " SD card damaged try reformatting it." I don't remember dropping it, or removing it without safely ejecting. I don't know what the problem here is, What I do know is I NEED the data anyhow. Connected it to the PC and shows empty with 0 meomory, stuck it in my s2 and gives the same error.

I need help on this please.

Have a similar problem but only on S2. On S3 only Samsung sd seems to have no problems for me. But on mt S2 every time I restart the phone SD gives me an unexpected error and unmount by itself.

Enviado do meu GT-I9100 atravs de Tapatalk

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Ankit, try ZAR. I've never used it, but it's free to use for pictures. And I've heard that it can recover data even from damaged cards.