Phone recommendation

RocketRay

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Net10 as my provider and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I started with my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2, decided it was old and then took advantage of a NewEgg shellshocker to get a Nexus 4. While it's a definite improvement there are two things I dislike: permanently installed battery and (worse) no microSD slot.

So here's what I'm after: same resolution (or better) screen, unlocked (or at least unlockable) bootloader (so it'll have custom ROMs), microSD slot, and (preferably) replaceable battery. It has to be T-Mobile compatible too, and I don't want to spend more than $450.

For example the Sony Xperia SP seems to fit the bill. You can unlock the bootloader, it's got the screen resolution and microSD slot, and while you can't replace the battery that's not a deal-breaker. I'd be interested in the HTC One X but with no microSD slot, that's a deal-breaker. The Galaxy S4 is awesome but too expensive.

Suggestions? :)

avatrx

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I am one of those disenfranchised US Cellular customers in Northern IL. I have to switch my phone before they take my number back. I live in a remote area where it seems only Verizon will work well. US Cellular is CDMA - they sold to Sprint. I've heard that Sprint doesn't fare well in this area. Sprint won't honor out 'out of contract' situation. They require a NEW 2 year contract. So we're going to Net10.

I switched the hubby's phone already to one of those Huawei (sp?) phones. I started with LG, but it was Android 2.3 and we barely got a signal. I was advised to get a phone with the 4.0 Android or higher because the newer phones had better antennas. I did that and that seemed to work (somewhat). I now need to switch over my phone.

Net 10 lets you 'bring your own' phone, but I cannot seem to find out which phones work and which don't. My US Cellular old phone won't work. If I buy a phone from a private party - how will I know if it will work? My SIL said an IPHONE 4 would work. I want CDMA and on the Verizon network. All for something that will work on Net10. Is there some way to find out BEFORE I buy a pre-owned phone? A GSM phone apparently has a SIM chip in it, but does that mean it only works on the GSM networks?

I need the kindergarten version since I'm cell-phone knowledge challenged.

Thanks!