Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help with Google Nav 7.0.2!! PLEASE

I consider myself a power user and for the life of me, I cannot figure out the new Navigation feature on Google Maps.

I understand that if I want to drive somewhere, I can input the address and get there just fine. HOWEVER, the majority of the time, I know where I'm going so I don't need turn by turn directions. Before the 7.0 update, I would turn on the navigation (not input any address) and leave on the "traffic" feature so that I can see what's coming ahead of me. THIS NO LONGER WORKS with the new update.

Here are the problems I encounter:

1. When I turn on Maps and click the icon in the lower right twice, the app responds and goes into "fly behind" mode. BUT the screen dims and turns off after a minute!! It won't stay on!
    2. Also, When in "fly behind mode" my point of view doesn't stay behind the blue icon. MY Point of view is most often from in front of the icon or even beside it. Thereby eliminating any way to see traffic IN FRONT OF ME.

I'm about ready to give up here and use WAZE or reinstall the 6.X apk.

Anybody else notice this? thanks for the help!!!

Global Posts
    7,776 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Help with Google Nav 7.0.2!! PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by dcyamaha View Post
    I consider myself a power user and for the life of me, I cannot figure out the new Navigation feature on Google Maps.

I understand that if I want to drive somewhere, I can input the address and get there just fine. HOWEVER, the majority of the time, I know where I'm going so I don't need turn by turn directions. Before the 7.0 update, I would turn on the navigation (not input any address) and leave on the "traffic" feature so that I can see what's coming ahead of me. THIS NO LONGER WORKS with the new update.

Here are the problems I encounter:

1. When I turn on Maps and click the icon in the lower right twice, the app responds and goes into "fly behind" mode. BUT the screen dims and turns off after a minute!! It won't stay on!
    2. Also, When in "fly behind mode" my point of view doesn't stay behind the blue icon. MY Point of view is most often from in front of the icon or even beside it. Thereby eliminating any way to see traffic IN FRONT OF ME.

I'm about ready to give up here and use WAZE or reinstall the 6.X apk.

Anybody else notice this? thanks for the help!!!
    You may already know this, but you can enable the traffic layer from the menu options (side tab) to view all traffic on your route. Additionally, you can adjust the screen settings to stay on and not dim or turn-off. This is a result of the device not actively providing turn-by-turn directions via Navigation.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, traffic is on, that one is easy to find on the left menu.

You addressed exactly what I'm baffled about. Why doesn't the screen stay on when not utilizing active turn-by-turn in 7.0 when it did in 6.X?? Why should I have to go into display settings now to do this? Why doesn't "fly behind" stay behind the vehicle unless in active turn-by-turn mode?

arrgggghhh!

Give me back the nav app I had before downloading all your "UPDATES" this weekend or I give up Verizon data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    You may already know this, but you can enable the traffic layer from the menu options (side tab) to view all traffic on your route. Additionally, you can adjust the screen settings to stay on and not dim or turn-off. This is a result of the device not actively providing turn-by-turn directions via Navigation.
    I cant adjust my screen settings to stay on; Under settings/display/sleep, I have choices ranging from 15 seconds to 30 minutes..This under android 4.2.2 on my Nexus 4. With the new Maps update, Ive totally lost the ability to ride around with maps and not have it shut off according to my dislpay sleep settings. Before the update, I could put NAV in 'Maps' mode, and it would NOT sleep. I use the device on my motorcycle, and the screen is not sensitive to the touch of the glove.. Hence, its really become very annoying to use with the constant 30 second screen off behavior.. I hate this upgrade, but had no such problems prior .... I wish I could set it back to the way it was.

Are you sure it even goes into "fly behind" mode? In my experience, it only flies behind me when I am going North. When I go any other direction, the map moves left, right, or down. It's very confusing....

Quote Originally Posted by James Tennier View Post
    Give me back the nav app I had before downloading all your "UPDATES" this weekend or I give up Verizon data plan.
    Go into the manage apps menu and find the Maps app. Go into it and you should see the option to uninstall updates. Do that, and it'll reset to the version pre-installed on your phone (or the last OS update if applicable).

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Go into the manage apps menu and find the Maps app. Go into it and you should see the option to uninstall updates. Do that, and it'll reset to the version pre-installed on your phone (or the last OS update if applicable).
    Yea, and at the same time, make sure you disable Auto Updates for the maps app; else youll get overwritten !

Oh yeah, that too. Lol